- India is the second most populated country in the world with nearly a fifth of the world’s population, 1,349,679,642(1.34 billion) as of August 14, 2017.
- Currently, there are about 51 births per minute in India.
- There are 29 states and 7 UTs as compared to 565 Princely States post-Independence.
- There are 216 languages with more than 10,000 native speakers in India. The largest of these is Hindi with some 337 million and the second largest in Bengali. 22 languages are recognized as official languages. In India, there are 1,652 languages and dialects in total.
India’s Hindu calendar has 6 seasons: spring, summer, monsoon, autumn, winter and prevernal.
6. An Indian man claims he hasn’t eaten or drunk for 70 years. After many tests, doctors still don’t know how it’s possible.
7. Breathing the air in Mumbai, India, for just one day is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes.
8. The world’s biggest family lives together in India: a man with 39 wives and 94 children.
9. India has more mobile phones than toilets.
10. In West Bengal, India, cows must have a Photo ID Card.
11. 70%of the entire world’s spices come from India.
12. To earn enough to buy a Big Mac, the average person in India has to work almost 6 hours.
13. India has more population than the entire Western Hemisphere of Earth.
14. In Canada, Mexico, India, Russia and Israel, banknotes have Braille-like markings on them for the blind.
15. The richest man in India, Mukesh Ambani, built a home valued at US$1 billion. It’s a 27-story building with 3 helipads, a 6-floor car park, a staff of 600, a 4-story hanging garden and a cinema.
16.The Golden Temple in India feeds a vegetarian meal to over 100,000 people a day regardless of race, religion and class.
17. India is expected to be the world’s most populous country by 2050. With 1.6 billion people, it will almost equal the U.S. and China’s population combined.
18. Indian housewives hold 11% of the World’s Gold. That is more than the reserves of the U.S., IMF, Switzerland and Germany put together.
19. Global warming’ solved’ a land dispute between India and Bangladesh: the island in dispute disappeared.
20. A man revived 5 rivers and brought water back to 1000 villages in India using native water-preservation techniques.
21. Only about 1 in 100 marriages in India ends in divorce, one of the lowest rates in the world.
22. 13 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are just in India.
23. India has more people using the internet than the entire population of the U.S.
24. During WW2, India produced the largest volunteer army in world history over 5 million men. At least 38 Indians received the Victoria Cross or the George Cross.
25. There 2.5 million of Zero Rupee banknotes in India. They are “paid” in protest by angry citizens to government functionaries who solicit bribes.
26. There’s an experimental township in India founded in 1968 and called Auroville, where citizens are from all over the world and there’s no money or religion.
27. The village of Shani Shingnapur, India, had no doors, locks or crime for over 400 years until 2010.
28. India planted nearly 50 million trees in 24 hours on Monday, July 11, 2016, a new Guinness World Record.
29. London has more Indian restaurants than Mumbai or Delhi.
30. In 2016, an Indian bus driver became the first person in modern recorded history to be struck dead by a meteorite.
31. The workforces of Columbia and India enjoy a leisurely 18 days off per year, making them the two countries with the most public holidays in the world.
32. Only2%of people in India define themselves as atheists.
33. In India, it is not uncommon to consume marijuana in milkshake form.
34. A con man in India repeatedly “sold” the Taj Mahal, the Indian parliament and various other heritage sites. He was sentenced to 113 years but managed to escape prison 9 times. The last time, he was 84 years old.
35.100 million people come to India’s Kumbh Mela Festival, the world’s biggest gathering of humans.