Thailand, also known as the Land of Smiles, is a country located at the heart of Southeast Asia. Known for its sprawling beaches and ultramodern cityscape, Thailand is soon becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
From friendly and fun-loving to cultured and historic, Thailand radiates an atmosphere enjoyable by all. The celestial world is a close confidant in this Buddhist nation, and religious devotion is colourful and ubiquitous. Gleaming temples and Buddhist relics frame both the rural and the modern landscape. The rich, warm, refreshing cuisine and the mix of rice paddies, tropical forests and squat villages in the country are directly responsible for the scores of tourists visiting it, every year. It is also easily accessible by people from all over the world and offers numerous kinds of visas for both leisure and business.
The different visa types offered to visitors are as follows :
- Tourist Visa
- Education Visa
- Non-Immigrant Visa
- One Year Non-immigrant Visa
- Marriage Visa
- Retirement Visa
- Business Visa
- Permanent Resident Visa
Thailand visa on arrival for Indians
Tourist Visa can be secured by citizens of India upon arrival, valid for 15 days, for tourism purposes only. This visa is only allowed to passport-holding citizens of 19 countries, including India. Applicants who wish to extend their stay are required to apply for an Extension of Stay from the Immigration Bureau.
Documents required & requirements for Thailand visa on arrival
The documents and eligibility required for the purpose of availing a Visa on Arrival are as follows:
- Airline Boarding Pass
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 months following the departure date and having 2 unused pages
- A visa application form available at Immigration checkpoints in Thailand, completed by the traveller
- One recent photograph of 4×6 centimeters headshot of the traveller, not more than 6 months old
- A confirmed airline ticket showing the departure of the applicant from Thailand within 15 days of the date of entry.
- An Arrival-Departure card duly filled by the traveller, which the airline staff will distribute
- Proof of means of living expenses while in Thailand, which is 10,000 baht per person and 20,000 baht per family.
- Visa on Arrival application fee of 1000 baht
Tourists wishing to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period longer than 15 days can apply for a long term Visa.
Thailand long term visa for Indian citizens
The main documents and eligibility required for the purpose of acquiring a long term Visa are as follows:
- Original passport and old passports, if any
- Passport should be valid for at least 6 months from the date of return, with a minimum of two blank pages
- Two copies of the first and last page of passport duly attested by the traveller
- Confirmed return air tickets
- Two visa application forms, duly completed and signed by the applicant
- 2 recent passport-size colour photographs taken against a white background, size 35 mm x 45 mm, of the traveller
- Confirmation of hotel where the applicant will be staying, with its address and phone number
- Original bank statements for the last 6 months reflecting a minimum balance of INR 42,000, that has been attested by a bank official
- Evidence of occupation and of the monthly income : Income Tax Returns for the last 3 years, Pay slips, letter from employer certifying employment, Employee ID, Student ID, Business license
Additional documents required are:
If the applicant is employed
- A cover letter from both the company where the applicant is employed and travel agency used by the applicant, stating the purpose of travel and traveller details.
If the applicant has Friends / Family living in Thailand
- If the applicant intends to stay with Thai relatives or friends, invitation letter and ID proof of the invitee(s) is mandatory.
- If the invitee is not a Thai citizen, copies of work visa, work permit and passport of the invitee is mandatory.
Thailand business visa for Indians
- Business Visas/ Work Visas are specially designed for people who want to do business legally in Thailand. The ‘B’ category non-immigrant visa is issued to eligible foreigners who wish to work or operate a business in the Kingdom of Thailand. In order to be eligible for a work permit, the applicant must have a job offer from an employer in Thailand. The application is carried out by the employer at the Department of Employment which will allow the applicant to stay up to 90 days. Before the expiry of the period specified in the visa, the applicant must apply for an Extension of Stay Permit at the Immigration Bureau which will allow stay up to 1 year. Once the visitor has been granted with an employment status, an application for Re-entry Permit at Immigration Bureau is required to extend the period of stay. In addition to this, the work permit also allows an individual to operate a business in Thailand as a skilled professional.
Documents required for Thailand business visa
The documents required for the purpose of acquiring a business visa are as follows:
- Original Passports with 6 months validity from date of arrival in Thailand.
- Visa application form.
- 2 Photos 35 X 45mm, white background, matt finish 80% face cover.
- Air tickets
- A cover letter from the Indian company’s profile where the traveller is employed, confirming the traveller’s current designation, purpose of travel and period of travel.
- Original Invitation Letter from Thai company specifying the name of traveller, the purpose of travel and the period of the meeting / conference. The letter has to be attested by executive authorized person with company’s stamp including a copy of the authorized person’s identity card.
- Hotel accommodation (If staying at Company’s accommodation, must provide the Company’s letter mentioning the address and contact information of the mentioned accommodation)
- International Credit card copy ORFOREX receipt copy OR Bank statements for last 6 months. (Individual account balance of 20,000 baht or 700 USD & family account balance of 40,000 baht or 1400 USD must be available).
Thailand visa application form
Application forms for Thailand visas are available online. Applicants may also apply for the visa through one of the VFS Global Centers located throughout India. The Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate has outsourced their visa services to VFS Global which is one of the renowned names in the field of outsourcing and technology services for governments and diplomatic missions across the globe.
Thailand Visa fees
Based on the visa type, applicant’s nationality, age, stay duration, entry scheme, etc. all visa applicants are required to pay a specific visa fee to enable processing of the application. While applying for the visa through VFS Global, applicants are required to pay an additional fee for the regular/premium services. The visa fees and charges levied by VFS Global and the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate is subject to change and can vary from INR 2,000 to INR 20,000.
The rates are as follows:
- Tourist Visa (single entry) – INR 2,000
- Tourist Visa (multiple entries) – INR 10,000
- Transit Visa (single entry) – INR 1,600
- Business Visa (single entry) – INR 4,000
- Business Visa (multiple entry) – INR 10,000
- Employment Visa – INR 4,000
- Education Visa (3 months) – INR 4,000
- Education Visa (1 year) – INR 10,000
- Non- Immigrant Visa (single entry) – INR 4,000
- Non- Immigrant Visa (multiple entries) – INR 10,000
- Religious Visa – INR 4,000
- Official Visa – INR 4,000
The processing time for a Thailand visa is approximately 7 working days. Once processed, applicants are allowed access to the rich and vibrant Kingdom of Thailand.