If you own a vehicle then you probably have a driving license. But every driving license has a validity period (normally 20 years) after that you have to renew it or you may have to pay fine for it. If you are wondering how to renew your driving license , you are in the right place. Here I will explain how to renew your driving license step by step.
Documents you need to renew your driving license :
If you do it in online mode, most of the documents will be needed as softcopy (pdf or jpg).
If you want to do it offline then you have to take the following documents with you when you go to your state RTO .
- Duly filled Form 9 or the application form.
- Form 1A filled and also signed by a certified doctor (If you are above the age of 40 years)
- Your original expired driving license.
- 3-5 passport-size photographs.
- Aadhar card.
- Copy of age and address proof ( self-attested ).
Process to renew your driving license online:
Now for applying for renewing driving license you have to visit your state RTO official website or clink on the below link
Now follow these steps—
- After clicking that link a page will open, select your state, now click on “apply online” then select “service on driving license”.
- In the next page you will find a set of instructions, read those click on continue.
- Now you have to enter your driving licence details, date of birth etc. after filling those click on “proceed”.
- In the next page check the box “Renewal of DL”, then click proceed.
- In the next page you will see all your details and driving license details. If you want anything changed then click on “update”. Next fill the captcha and submit.
- In the next page print the acknowledgement paper and click next.
- Now you have to upload required documents. But before that download form 1A from upper right corner. Now to upload document check the option and proceed.
- After successfully uploading all documents upload your photo and signature and then click proceed to payment.
- After successful payment print the receipt and click next.
- Now fill your application no and DOB and submit.
- Next an OTP will send to your mobile no fill it and submit.
- In the next page select your appointment date and click on book slot.
- Now print the appointment letter.
Now you have to go to your state RTO office with all the documents, appointment letter, application letter and duly filled form 1A on our booked date and time and submit them in the office. Your renewed driving license will be sent to you by post.
Process to renew your driving license offline:
You can also apply to renew driving license offline but it may be a little time consuming.
You have to follow these steps.
- Go to your state RTO and collect application form and other forms.
- Fill them correctly, attach your photo and submit all the required documents attached with the application form.
- Now the RTO will verify your application form and documents.
- After verification you will receive your renewed driving license.
In most cases you will get the renewed DL on the same day or in 2-3 days. But it can take long, even up-to 30 working days.
Queries about renewed driving license:
- You have to apply for renewing driving license under 30 days of expiry date otherwise you will have to pay fine. The amount depends on the type of your DL.
- If your renewed DL is of a non transport vehicle then its validity will be 5 years, if it is for transporting vehicle then it will be valid for 3 years.
- If you are applying offline, take every document with you or you will have troubles.
I hope you have found your answer and it helped you. Bye bye , have a nice day.