Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens is issued in the form of ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) for tourism purpose. Indian nationals are granted various types of visas by the Sri Lankan Government for various purposes. In this blog article we will discuss topics such as Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens, ETA Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka visa on arrival, Sri Lanka visa online, Sri Lanka visa , Sri Lanka tourist visa for Indians, visa requirements for Indian citizens to Sri Lanka, documents required for Sri Lanka visa.
Sri Lanka visa for Indian
Based on the applicant’s requirements, eligibility criteria, and other factors, the applicant may or may not be approved for a visa for Sri Lanka from India. Your application will be assessed by the Sri Lankan Embassy or Consulate who will determine whether you qualify for the visa approval. Depending on the category of the visa, the applicant is required to fill in the application form and submit it along with the necessary documents.
Sri Lanka Tourist Visa
The process to obtain a Sri Lanka Tourist Visa is quite simple and 100% online. You will need to apply for an online visa, if you are an Indian passport holder wishing to travel to Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka will issue travellers an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) that allows you to enter the country for 30 days. ETA is an Electronic Travel Authorization granted online by the Sri Lankan government, through the official web based visa system. An ETA is issued only for Short Visits to Sri Lanka for Business purposes, Tourism and Transit purposes.
As of January 2012, all travellers entering Sri Lanka (except the Republics of Singapore, Maldives, and The Seychelles) are required to apply for an ETA for a short visit to Sri Lanka. Indian passport can enter Sri Lanka for 30 days. Visits are limited to tourism and business visits only, and you must not engage in paid work or employment. You can apply for an extension on your visa for a maximum of 6 months by requesting the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Once your ETA Visa is approved, it is valid for 180 days from the date of application. The ETA Visa also permits you two entries into the country of Sri Lanka.
The following options are provided to applicants to carry out the application for an ETA:
- The applicant itself
- A third party
- One of the registered agents
- Applying at the Sri Lanka Missions
- Applying at the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DI&E)
- While arriving at the port of entry in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka visa requirements for Indian
Following are the Sri Lanka visa requirements for Indian citizens
- Travel document– The applicant’s original, signed passport must be valid for a minimum of six months after the intended departure from Sri Lanka. It must contain at least two blank pages at the end. The passport must have been issued within the last 10 years. The passport should not have any observation regarding the front data page. Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for Sri Lanka visas.
- Application form– The applicant must submit a fully completed Sri Lanka visa application form. Applicants must note that any incomplete information or false statement in the Sri Lanka visa application could result in delay in processing or rejection of the application. This Sri Lanka visa application form has to be filled out in the English language only.
- Photograph– Applicants require two recent original passport-size colour photographs. They must be in colour, front view and with a plain/white background. The photographs should not be more than six months old.
- Covering letter– The applicant must submit a covering letter to the centre, with details such as the applicant introducing himself/herself, explaining the purpose of visit, duration & itinerary of the visit in brief.
- Travel Medical Insurance– You must have valid medical insurance during your stay in Sri Lanka. This must cover all possible expenses for health reasons, death, indispensable medical treatment or acute hospitalization during your stay, which may cause you to return to India.
- Invitation Letter- An invitation letter describing their relationship to the applicant and the purpose of travel to Sri Lanka must be given to the applicant by the host organization or sponsor in Sri Lanka. In addition, the letter must also indicate the length of stay, place of stay of the applicant, and the host’s name and contact information.
- Official Business Cover Letter- The applicant’s employer or sponsoring company must give the applicant a cover letter, on the company letterhead. This must name the applicant, indicate the applicant’s employment status and the position they hold in the company in India. It must also clearly state the purpose of travel to Sri Lanka. In addition, the cover letter must also state who will be financing the applicant’s trip and stay in Sri Lanka, and must provide detailed contact information.
Sri Lanka Visa fees for Indian citizens
Sri Lanka visa fees for Indian citizen is different for categories under which you are going to apply for Visa. So the cost of Sri Lankan visa for Indians is given here.
Sri Lanka Visa fees for tourists with double entry is USD 20.The cost of a Sri Lankan Visa for business purposes and for multiple entries is USD 30. Applicants under 12 years of age are exempt from paying the visa fees.The current exchange rate dictates the Sri Lanka Visa fee in Indian Rupees and it is subject to change without notice, as per fluctuations in economy. All visa fees are non-refundable, regardless of whether the Sri Lanka Visa is granted or not.
How to get Sri Lanka visa?
Step 1: Visit the link to access the online ETA application form.
Step 2: Please read the following details carefully on the visa application site before proceeding with the application:
All ETA holders should be able to prove:
(i) Only if you are traveling by air, you will require a round trip air ticket to show at the port of entry in Sri Lanka
(ii) Proof of appropriate funds to cover your expenses for your entire stay in Sri Lanka
- Employment: As a holder of an ETA visa, the applicant should not engage in any form of paid or unpaid employment, or in any trade or business other than what is specified in the ETA, during the period of his/her stay in Sri Lanka.
- Fees and Payments: As a holder of an ETA Visa, you must agree that your credit card will be billed immediately after submission of your application. It must be understood that the requirements and Fees related to processing of your application are subject to change from time to time. You must agree that the ETA processing fee once paid by you is not refundable and not transferable under any circumstances.
- Communication: If you use the official ETA visa submission website, you authorize the Department of Immigration & Emigration Sri Lanka to contact you via e-mail, messaging, or any other electronic or non-electronic means of communication, with information regarding your visa application.
- Accuracy: Once you submit your application, you must certify that the information provided by you is true and correct.
- Limitations of use: You may not use this site for any purpose other than the intended purpose.
(1) Application Submitting Terms:
- Enter the passport number correctly
- Type in your nationality correctly as appears in the travel document or passport
- Enter your date of birth correctly
- Recheck or crosscheck the above information to ascertain that it has been entered correctly. In case there is any inconstancy in above particulars, you will be required to pay for the visa again on arrival in Sri Lanka.
(2) You must make sure that the same travel document which was used for applying online visa is used for entering into Sri Lanka. You will be required to pay the fee again on arrival for the visa, in the event you produce a travel document other than the one used for applying for the online visa.
Step 3: After reading the terms outlined above, click on ‘I agree’. You will then be redirected to the main application.
Step 4: On the left panel, you will see a series of choices about which type of visa you are applying for- Tourist ETA (for an Individual, for a Group or for a Third Party), Business Purpose ETA (for an Individual, for a Group or for a Third Party) and Transit ETA. Select which one you will be applying for and proceed to the next part of the application.
Step 5: Fill in the following details in your application:
- Surname/Family Name (Enter your last name or surname as it appears on your passport)
- Other/Given Names (If you also have a middle-name in your passport, you must enter this as well beside your given name)
- Title(From the list provided, select your preferred title based on your gender, marital status or professional designation for eg- Dr, Mr, Mrs, Ms Mst etc)
- Date of Birth
- Nationality (Your country of nationality is the country in which you have or can obtain a passport)
- Country of Birth
- Passport Number (Pay attention about following letters “0,1,O,I,L”)
- Issued Date of Passport
- Expiry Date of Passport
- If you are travelling with children, enter the child’s information in parent’s passport. Note that children under 16 years of age possessing separate passport(s) should submit individual application(s). Enter the following details about the children:
- Surname/Family Name
- Other/Given Names (If the children have a middle-name in your passport, you must enter this as well beside their given name)
- Date of Birth
- Relationship (son/ daughter)
- The enter your travel details like:
- Intended Arrival Date
- Purpose of Visit
- Port of Departure
- Name of the flight or vessel you will be arriving in
- Flight or Vessel Number
- Enter your Contact Details like:
- Line 1 of Address (Please type your current apartment or house or building number in your address in the box given)
- Line 2 of Address (Please type your current Street Address in the text box)
- Zip/Postal Code
- Country you reside in
- Address in Sri Lanka
- Email Address of applicant (the ETA Approval or Acknowledgment letter will be sent to this email address)
- Telephone Number (Please type your current telephone number into the space shown. This telephone number should include your country code, your area or state code, and your local number (if any). This number should be the phone number at which you are most likely to be reached)
- Mobile Number
- Fax Number
- Then you must sign the declaration stating the following:
- Mention whether you have a valid residence visa to Sri Lanka
- State whether you are currently in Sri Lanka with a valid ETA or obtained an extension of visa
- whether you have a multiple entry visa to Sri Lanka
For Business Visa Applicants, fill in the following details too-
- Contact Details of the Applicant’s Company such as:
- Company Name
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Zip/Postal Code
- Telephone Number
- Mobile Number
- Fax Number
- Email Address
- Contact Details of the Sri Lankan Company such as:
- Company Name (Specify the applicant’s foreign / Sri Lankan company names)
- Telephone Number (Please type your current telephone number into the text box. Your phone number should include your country code, your area code, and your local number. This number should be the phone number at which you are most likely to be reached)
- Mobile Number
- Fax Number
- Email Address
Step 6: Then confirm that all the information you have entered is correct and tick the box to prove that you are not a robot. You will then be redirected to a page where you will have to review all the information you have entered.
Step 7: After reviewing and confirming your details, you will have to make the payment through credit card. After the payment is made, you will receive a confirmation email to your registered email ID.
Step 8: The ETA Visa will take around one to two hours to process. Once it is processed, your visa will be ready and you can travel to Sri Lanka.
If you submitted your application using the online submission method, visit the URL https://eta.gov.lk/etaslvisa/pages/checkStatus.jsp to see the status of your Sri Lanka ETA Visa status. There you will have to fill in the following details:
- Confirmation Code
- Passport Number
- If the confirmation code is not known, then enter the Nationality.
Your visa processing status will then be displayed on your screen.
Note: You are not permitted to arrive in Sri Lanka until you receive the ETA Approval Notice. Please keep in mind that the ETA Acknowledgement notice that is generated upon submission will not serve as the entry approval at your arrival to Sri Lanka.