Are you looking about how to obtain a Mauritius Visa for Indians? Don’t worry! This blog will explain to you about application process Mauritius Visa, documents required for Mauritius tourist Visa . It will also provide insight into the processing time, fees and kinds of Mauritius Visa for Indians.
Mauritius Visa for Indians
Mauritius provides Indian passport holders Mauritius visa-on-arrival which is free of cost. The only web result for “Mauritius Visa for Indians” is about visa-on-arrival. It means neither the visa can be registered online nor availed before the commencement of the trip. You can just carry the relevant documents and get your Visa at the Mauritius airport. Visas are issued and extended by the Department of Immigration, Government of Mauritius. If you intend to stay for a long time, please extend your visa on arrival before the visa expires.
Eligibility criteria for Indians to get a Mauritius Visa
- The applicant must be 18 years and above.
- Good moral character.
- No past criminal record.
- Basic language proficiency in English or French or Creole.
- Good educational background.
- Extraordinary qualification, if any.
- Travel insurance.
Types of Mauritius Visa for Indians
The kinds of Mauritius Visa, an Indian can avail of will depend on the duration of your stay and the aim of your travel. The following are types of Mauritius Visa for Indians:-
- Visa-On-Arrival – This Visa is issued when you arrive at Mauritius airport and present all necessary documents for the visa. You need to fill in the form and the visa is issued on the day itself. The visa is valid for 60 days from the first day of entry. This is a single-entry visa. You can avail a Tourist or Business Visa-on-arrival, which is also valid for 60 days from the first day of entry in Mauritius.
- Mauritius Tourist Visa – This Visa is required for tourism, leisure or vacation in Mauritius.
- Business Visa – This Visa is required by individuals who intend to engage in or establish business ventures and investments.
- Study/ Student Visa – Students who wish to pursue their Bachelors’/Masters’/MPhil/PhD Degree in Mauritius need a Student Visa. You need to apply for this Visa before your visit since students are allowed only after the application is approved. No tourist or visitor will be issued a permit to pursue a course.
- Work Visa – This Visa is required if you work or seek employment in Mauritius. Creative professionals like film stars, dancers and theatre artists do not require this visa. The only condition is that they cannot stay for 90 days consecutively in a year.
- Transit Visa – This Visa is provided to travellers with connecting flights from Mauritius airport within 24 hours. The visa validity can vary from 1 to 3 days.
- Social Visa – This Visa is required to attend socio-cultural or religious functions, meetings and conferences in Mauritius. Your programme should be sponsored by a socio-cultural organization. You can stay for 45 days.
- Medical Visa – This Visa is required to avail medical treatment in Mauritius to be provided in private health care institutions which are duly registered with the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life under the Private Health Institutions Act. Mauritius visa on arrival is valid for 6 months.
The following individuals are exempted from Visa regulations:-
- Holders of Diplomatic Passports except those issued by the Government of Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo, Libya, Palestine State, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
- The Crew of a vessel travelling on duty or in transit to join another vessel.
- Holders of Laissez-passer issued by the United Nations, COMESA, SADC or other internationally recognized organizations.
- Passports Holders issued by the INTERPOL who come to Mauritius on an official mission;
- A Holders of Laissez-passer issued by the African Reinsurance Corporation and the African Development Bank Group in Respect of their directors, officers or employees travelling to Mauritius on official mission.
- Persons who intend to remain in Mauritius only during the stay of a vessel by which they arrive and depart.
Documents Required by Indians for Mauritius Visa
The basic documents required to obtain a Mauritius Visa for Indians are as follows:-
- Filled in Visa Application.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs of the traveller(s).
- Indian passport with a validity of at least 6 months from the date of arrival at Mauritius and minimum of 3 blank pages + all old passports (if any)
- Proof of confirmed return flight tickets.
- All accommodation details in Mauritius.
- In case a Mauritian citizen is sponsoring your stay in the country, you would need to show a letter from the sponsor indicating the same. Further, the citizen’s address and the relationship must also be mentioned in this sponsorship letter.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the various expenses while staying in the country. You must have funds worth ₹3,600 to ₹7,200 as daily expenses during your stay to avail a Tourist Visa.
- Current Bank statement
For Business Visa – Introduction/ recommendation letter from:
- One of the Chambers of Commerce and Industries, the government of India;
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry of India;
- Export Promotion Council of India; or Reference number from Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Afghanistan.
Registration certificate of the company from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of India:
- Income tax documents for the last three years;
- Letter from the company addressed to the embassy, introducing the businessman for visa issuance;
- Invitation letter from the local partner or prospect local partner company in Afghanistan;
- Copy of the licence (JAWAZ) of the local partner or prospect local partner company in Afghanistan.
- Proposed business plan.
- Money investment
- Proof of educational qualification.
- Proof of professional expertise.
For Student Visa:–
APPLICATION TO ENTER MAURITIUS – Passport and Immigration Office (govmu.org)– Filled in and signed form
- Copy of the bio-data pages of the passport of the applicant beyond period of stay
- Admission letter in a recognized educational establishment or TVET institution
- Letter of offer from the institution and Letter of acceptance from the student
- A duly signed and sealed covering letter from a recognized educational establishment or TVET institution, with details of duration of the course and start date;
- Details of the duration of the course and confirmation from the Tertiary Education Commission or Mauritius Qualifications Authority that the chosen course is a full-time or part-time;
- Accreditation of programme letter from Higher Education Commission (HEC) or Mauritius Qualification Authority(MQA);
- A recent bank statement for a period of last 6 months, letter of sponsorship from parents or guardian, copy of ID or passport of parents or guardian
- Proof of address in Mauritius and Copy of ID of tenant
- A medical certificate certifying that the applicant is not suffering from any contagious or infectious disease.
For Transit Visa – Confirmed Flight tickets for the next destination and valid passport of the country of residence.
For Work Visa:–
- Certified copies of the employee’s academic record.
- Certified copies of the professional qualification.
- Copies in support of professional experience.
- Copy of the appointment letter with the job description and salary and perks.
- Letter of approval from the Department of Labor.
- Copy of medical certificate issued by the Department of Health.
- Documents in support of the company’s registration
How to apply for Mauritius Visa for Indians ?
The Department of Immigration, the Government of Mauritius, has a website for Visa applications. You can apply online after meticulously going through the instructions. On arrival, a visa can be obtained from the airport. You can also bring your pertinent documents and apply for on arrival visa at Mauritius airport itself. You will find the Visa forms at website
Indian nationals can connect with the Mauritius Embassy in Delhi and Consulate in Mumbai for further information. Application for Student Visa should be made to the Passport and Immigration Office by the respective tertiary educational institution or TVET institution where the student is enrolled.
Mauritius Visa Fees for Indians
Mauritius do not charge fees for Indian Passport holders in terms of the issuance or extension of visa. For migration to other visas, Indian citizens have to pay the stipulated fee.
Mauritius Visa Processing Time in India
A visa-on-arrival can be availed on the same day at Mauritius airport. A Tourist visa with a validity exceeding 60 days can be obtained in a week. Student visa and Work Visa can be obtained in around 15 working days.
Q1. What is the validity of Mauritius Tourist/Business Visa-On-Arrival?
Mauritius on-arrival visas are valid for 60 days.
Q2. Where is the Embassy of Mauritius in India?
Mauritius Embassy in India is located in New Delhi and Consulate is in Mumbai.
Q3. Where is the Passport and Immigration Office in Mauritius?
Address: Sterling House, 9-11 Lislet Geoffroy Street, Port Louis, Mauritius
Working Hours: 9 am – 2.30 pm; Monday to Saturday
Website: Republic of Mauritius (govmu.org)