AO code is made of Area code, AO type, range code and AO number . It is required to know while applying for Pan card . Therefore the blog gives information about Pan Card’s AO Code in detail. On the basis of it you will be able to find AO code for pan card as per your area pin code.
What is AO code for pan card?
Wondering what is AO code for Pan Card? AO Code consists of four elements. The Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, and AO Number are all combined to form the AO Code.
If you are applying for a PAN CARD, this AO code must provide in the form. To enter the AO code in the PAN application, the applicant must receive the AO code for pan card from the Income-tax office department.
Wondering how to find AO code for Pan Card? Go through the sections listed below.
There are four main components of the AO code:
- AO type
- Area Code
- Range Code
- AO Number
You’ve just learned what an AO code for a Pan Card is. What exactly does it entail? Let us now look at the meanings of the components of the pan card in detail.
What do the components mean?
- AO Number – AO code for pan card is a numerical value given and published by Protean eGov Technologies Limited specifically to the Assessing officer and it is the last part of the AO code.
- Area Code – It helps in identifying the geographical area of an individual or company and the code consists of 3 letters.
- AO Type – It shows the rank of the Assessing Officer. Examples – Ward, Circle, Range or commissioner and helps the Income-tax department to identify the type of PAN cardholder as an individual or company or even service personnel or a person who is not a resident of India.
- Range Code- It is based on the address of the PAN cardholder; it helps in assigning a range. And it shows the code of the range in which the Assessing Officer operates.
Before diving into the topic of how to find AO code for pan card? Let’s see what are the types of AO code.
How to link pan card with aadhaar card
How to get pan card number if lost?
What are the types of AO Code?
You learnt what is AO code for pan card? You can even find your AO Code; we have a section on how to find AO code for pan card that you can read about. Now, we’ll go over the various types of AO Codes. . There are mainly 4 types of AO code for pan card.
It depends on the area or type of the area in which the entity is working out of. The tax implication is different for each type and so different AOs are given for Income tax returns as per the assessee.
NSDL has published a list of AO codes for identification. The various four types of AO codes are given below:
- International Taxation– This type of AO code is given for non-resident or non-resident entity who is applying for PAN card.
- Non-International Taxation (Outside Mumbai) –This type of AO code is given for residents and companies residing in India except Mumbai.
- Non-International Taxation (Mumbai Region) –This type of AO code is given for applicants who reside in Mumbai or companies registered in Mumbai.
- Defence Personnel – This type of AO code is given for applicants who are members of the Indian Army or the Indian Air Force. There are two types of codes, one for the Army and the other meant for the Air Force.
- In the further section, we will discuss how to find AO code for pan card?
How to get pan card number if lost?
We will discuss how to find AO code for pan card? Before that, I have mentioned search URL to find AO code.
Search URL to find AO Code for Top Cities in India
|Cities||Direct Link to Official Website|
|AO Code for Delhi||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=DELHI|
|AO Code for Chennai||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=CHENNAI|
|AO Code for Bangalore||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=BANGALORE|
|AO Code for Hyderabad||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=HYDERABAD|
|AO Code for Mumbai||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=MUMBAI|
|AO Code for Kolkata||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=KOLKATA|
|AO Code for PATNA||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=PATNA|
|AO Code for Gurgaon||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=GURGAON|
|AO Code for Ahmedabad||https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/servlet/AOSearch?city=AHMEDABAD|
How to find AO code for PAN card?
Now knowing what is AO code for PAN CARD you might have a query of how to find AO code for pan card? Here is how to find AO code for the Pan Card? Here are some simple steps to find your AO card while applying for the PAN card:
- Click here to visit the official NSDL portal to find your AO code.
- Now choose your city where you reside to proceed to the next step
- Then there will be a list of AO codes for your preferred city displayed on the screen there
- Select the appropriate AO code as per the details mentioned and click on the submit button
How to find my AO code after receiving the PAN card?
Here is how to find AO code for pan card if you already have your PAN Card. You can follow the mentioned steps to check your AO Code:
- Visit and login to Click here
- Click on ‘Profile Settings‘ and click on ‘My profile‘ as shown below.
- Click on ‘PAN Card‘, and it will display all the details along with the details of Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, AO Number, and Jurisdiction, as shown below.
Cancellation of PAN Card: How to Cancel PAN Card in 2022
Update Pan Card Details/Change Pan Card Details
FAQs on AO Code for PAN Card
Here are some frequently asked questions for the AO code for PAN Card.
Q1 I am a student applying for a PAN card having no source of income, what is my AO code?
Currently, there is no AO Code present for students. But you can leave the NSDL AO Code or UTI AO Code blank. The PAN card will be allotted on postal code concern and you can also check it once you receive the PAN card.
Q2 How to find the AO code and AO type for my PAN card application?
An AO Code is a mix of area code, AO type, AO no. number, and range code too. AO code is necessary while applying for PAN card. You need to provide the AO code while applying for a PAN Card. Click here to find the AO code by selecting your City/State.
Q3 I am unemployed, what is my AO code on my PAN card?
There is no specific AO Code for an unemployed person on a PAN Card. But there is a choice to select a salary amount below a certain amount.
Q4 How can I find the area code for PAN card?
There are two ways to find the area code for PAN card
- Contact the Income Tax Department (ITD)
- Click here to visit the official NSDL portal online
Q5 How to change my AO code of my PAN card?
If you want to change the residential address, then the AO code must be changed too and then re-apply for a new AO code. So click here to receive details about how to change your AO code for your PAN card.
That’s all about what is AO code for pan card? How to find AO code for pan card?
Leave a Reply