In India some girls go for name change after marriage . Itzeazy facilitates in the process of name change after marriage. In this article we will discuss surname change after marriage, PAN card name change after marriage, Aadhar card name change after marriage, documents required for name and address change in Aadhar card after marriage, Passport name change after marriage, Marriage certificate name change
For most of us, marriage is a monumental step. We are wise to call it a life-changing move as even many small things tend to change after marriage. This change is more for women than it is for men. All over the world, a general trend for a woman is to change her surname from her father’s name to her husband’s or husband family name, after marriage. Although in the recent years, this has receded with many women opting to keep their maiden names or opting for hybrid names, it is still widely prevalent in India.
For those of you who wish to change your name after marriage, the changed name needs to be documented in all your records thereafter. Following are the steps to guide you on how to get that done in our country-
1. The first and foremost step that is required is to obtain a marriage certificate. Now, this differs in each state across India and you need to follow the formalities as per the state you are residing in. The certificate would be obtained anywhere between 7 days to 3 months from applying. Please note that marriages in India are registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
2. You need to visit a registered notary and ask for a Joint notarized affidavit for name change after marriage. An affidavit is basically a stamp paper notifying your intention of changing your name to a new one along with the details of previous name, new name and the reason for a change in name.
3. Alternatively, if you do not wish to follow this process, then you need to apply for a name change at the office of the State Government Gazette. They would include your name change and make it official through announcements through local newspapers. A copy of this advertisement could serve as a legal document for the name change.
4. Once this is done, then with these documents you need to make the necessary changes in your other documents which include PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, Bank documents, Passport, Driving license, Loans, Insurance etc.
5. Also make necessary information’s at the Local municipality authority, residential society, children’s school and other places that needs to be updated.
Lastly, it is up to you whether you would like to change your surname or retain the old one or go for a hybrid version. There are some benefits attached to changing your surname to that of your husband’s but you can avail the same benefits by going for a dual surname strategy. In the end, it is best to discuss this matter with your husband, and seek his opinion as well. You can then take a mutual decision to choose the best solution that will have long term benefits for both of you.
PAN card name change after marriage
Married lady can apply for change in name or surname in PAN card after marriage . Application on the form along with supporting documents should be submitted to the PAN card office. Process takes approx. 1 month time. After 1 month PAN card with changed name will be issued.
Following are the documents required for PAN card name change after marriage :
- Application on PAN card form
- 2 passport size photo
- Copy of old PAN card
- Copy of current address proof
- Copy of ID proof
Special document for name change in PAN card
- Marriage certificate or
- Marriage invitation card or
- Copy of passport showing husband’s name or
- Publication of name change in official gazette or
- Certificate issued by a Gazetted officer in prescribed format (only for change in applicant’s name)
Passport name change after marriage
Passport rules says that cases for passport name change after marriage should be applied under reissue category. It takes approx. 30 days under normal process and 3 days under tatkal process .
Following are the documents required for passport name change after marriage :
- Old Passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page (previously ECNR)
- Proof Of Present Address
- Self attested photocopy of the spouse’s Passport
Aadhar card name change after marriage
There is provision for Aadhar card name change after marriage . One of the following documents having the new name , can be submitted to the Aadhar card enrollment center either or can be requested online for Aadhar card name change after marriage :
- PAN Card
- Ration/ PDS Photo Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID Cards/ Service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGS Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Kissan Photo Passbook
- CGHS/ ECHS Photo Card
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrollment/ update
- Disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/ UT Governments/Administrations
- Bhamashah Card
- Certificate from Superintendent/ Warden/ Matron/ Head of Institution of recognized shelter homes or orphanages etc. on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrollment
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by MP or MLA or MLC or Municipal Councilor on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrollment/ update
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Village Panchayat Head or Mukhiya or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) on UIDAI standard certificate format
- Gazette notification for name change
- Marriage certificate with photograph
- RSBY Card
- SSLC book having candidates photograph
- ST/ SC/ OBC certificate with photograph
- School Leaving Certificate (SLC)/ School Transfer Certificate (TC), containing name and photograph
- Extract of School Records issued by Head of School containing name and photograph
- Bank Pass Book having name and photograph
- Certificate of Identity containing name and photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution signed by Head of Institute on UIDAI standard certificate format
“Some guys will want to change everything about you. But the right guy will only want to change one thing, your last name.”