To own a commercial driving license is to be responsible for other individuals using the vehicle.
A commercial driving license is the license to drive heavy vehicles.
A commercial vehicle is used to transport passengers or goods.
The minimum eligibility criteria to apply for a commercial driver’s license are a bit different.
Here, the candidate should have necessarily cleared the examination of 8th standard.
The onus of the commercial vehicle driver is higher as they are accountable for their safety and others.
The age limit is 3 years along with a driving license for private use, which is 21 years.
Documents need for commercial driving license:
- The above documents as required in Private License
- Medical Certificate in form No.1A (In case of Commercial category).
- Driver refreshing Training certificate in case of HMV.
- In the case of a Private license, the record is not verified if the particulars seem to be clear on the license. However, for a commercial license, the particulars are verified by the issuing authority. The renewal of the license in case of the private license is done on the same day, but for a commercial license, the renewal is made after verifying the particulars.
- Application form 4
- 2 copies of your recent passport-size photograph.
- Original Driving license held.
- Attested copies of Valid Proof of age and residence.
- Form No.1 self-declaration of physical fitness.
The online process to apply for a commercial driving license.
Firstly, visit the Government website Parivahan.gov.in.
Secondly, select “driving-related services.”
Thirdly select “download forms” and download form 4
Fourthly, fill in the details, attest to Form 4, and mention the vehicle class as commercial instead of private.
Fifthly, upload the documents with your recent passport-size photographs.
Sixthly, submit Form 1(a), which proves you are medically fit to drive a commercial vehicle. After submitting the application form, you will receive the application number by text with your registered mobile number on the website.
Seventhly, print the forms and documents and visit the RTO. The applicant can book a slot for the driving test online as well as using the application number.
Finally, If you clear the driving test, the commercial driving license will be issued by the RTO to the residence or the address of the business.
The offline process to apply for a commercial
Firstly, visit the RTO (Regional Transport Department) within your jurisdiction and procure Form 2.
Secondly, fill in your details in form 2 and form 1(a) and submit.
Thirdly, submit all the relevant forms and documents, and following the submission, you will receive the application number.
Fourthly, the RTO will then schedule the driving test for the applicant.
Finally, when you clear the driving test, your commercial driving license will be issued to his/her house address or the address of the business.
Also Read: Apply Driving License Online
Type of Vehicle class in India
MC 50cc – Vehicles that have an engine capacity of 50cc or less than that.
FVG: Vehicles without gear
MC EX50CC: Vehicles with gear whose engine capacity is 50CC or more.
MCWG: Vehicles both with and without gear fall under this category.
LMV- NT: Light Motor Vehicles Non – transport class.
MGV: Medium Goods Vehicles
HMV: Heavy Motor Vehicles
HGMV: Heavy Goods Motor Vehicles
HPMV: Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicles
HTV: Heavy Transport Vehicles
Trailer: Heavy Trailers