Are you married recently and want a name change after marriage? In Indian culture, changing your name after marriage is common. When you exchange wedding vows with your soulmate, you are committing to be lifelong partners.
A name change is also significant. Although it may take some time, the procedure for changing one’s name after marriage in India is simple. A person is not allowed to change their first name more than once in India.
So, think twice before changing your name after marriage, and read the following to learn how to change your surname or name after marriage in India. Itzeazy facilitates the process of name change after marriage.
Here you come to the right place where you will get the comprehensive guide for name change after marriage. For those of you who wish to change your name after marriage, the changed name needs to be documented in all your records thereafter. You can change your name in two ways:
- Notarized Affidavit
- Gazette Publication
Name Change through Notarized Affidavit:
The following are the steps for name change after marriage that you need to follow:
- Step 1: Submit a joint affidavit with a marriage declaration. Details such as your maiden name, proposed new name, husband’s name, and address should be included in this affidavit for changing your name after marriage.
- Step 2: Print the affidavit on INR 10 stamp paper and have both husband and wife sign it.
- Step 3: Attach the signed affidavit to the marriage certificate and passport-sized photographs of the husband and wife for name change after marriage.
- Step 4: Have the affidavit notarized by a notary. A legal fee will be charged for this procedure.
- Step 5: You have to place an advertisement in two local newspapers and announce the name change.
Name Change through Gazette Publication:
The following are the procedure for a name change after marriage through Gazette Publication
- Step 1: Submit a written request due to the wedding to the Gazette department, along with a copy of the marriage certificate and proof of address.
- Step 2: Send the supporting documents for changing your name after marriage by registered mail to the appropriate department for verification.
- Step 3: Ask the department to include the information in the next issue of the Gazette.
- Step 4: Within 15 to 20 working days, a Gazette notification will be delivered to your address via registered mail. This can be used to prove that you have changed your name.
- Step 5: Place an ad in two local newspapers/dailies announcing the name change. The following is an example of the same.
What is the procedure to change name after marriage?
If you want to change your name after marriage in India, there are a few steps you must take. Here’s what goes into changing your name after marriage:
In order to name change after marriage, you’ll need to get your new name on your marriage certificate first.
- To do so, go to the official website of the Indian government.
- Download the marriage registration forms.
- Complete and submit these forms to the Sub Registrar’s Office.
A few copies of passport-size photographs, an Aadhar card, a PAN card, and other ID/address proof documents will also be required.
The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, governs your name change on your marriage certificate, and more information is available on the Central Government’s website.
Take an Affidavit
- In India, an affidavit (a stamp paper) is a common document for changing one’s name.
- You must explain why you want to change your name, as well as provide your new and old names.
- You can get one by going to a registered notary and requesting an affidavit for a post-marriage name change.
Declaration to the third party
- It’s time to officially publish your name after you’ve successfully changed your name using your marriage certificate and completed the affidavit process.
- One way to do this is to publish your new name in two prominent local newspapers.
- Furthermore, the legal procedure for your name change declaration is to publish your name in the Gazette of India, which is an official journal published by the Indian government.
Do make the changes
Now comes the most crucial part. After you’ve successfully changed your name and had it published in the Indian Gazette.
The next steps of changing your name after marriage will be to update your bank accounts, PAN card, passport, Aadhar card, and high school certificates, among other documents. Take any relevant documents containing your name change information and submit them to the places where you got your PAN, passport, Aadhar, and other government-issued identification to update your name and make it official.
Name change procedure on the following documents:
The following are the steps to follow for the documents mentioned:
PAN Card: Submit an application to the Income Tax Pan Service Unit with a copy of the marriage certificate or a gazette affidavit as proof of changing your name after marriage.
Passport: To change the name on the passport, submit an application with the old passport, marriage certificate, a copy of the husband’s passport, and other information.
Banks: Change the name on your bank account. To prove the reason for your name change, attach the affidavit or marriage certificate as a supporting document.
Driving Licence: For further processing, submit an application to the RTO with the marriage certificate, form LLD, form 1, address proof, original driving licence, ID proof, and the processing fee.
I hope all the information provided about the name change after marriage is clear and I have mentioned it very comprehensively. If you still have any doubts regarding this you can write it in the comment box.