The Schengen visa allows citizen of non- European countries to visit Schengen countries in Europe for up to 90 days within a period of 6 months. The Schengen tourist visa is the most important thing if you are planning to visit friends or family or taking a leisure trip to Europe.
Schengen consists of 26 countries and each country is so unique that visitors cannot stop themselves for visiting there. The most beautiful visited Schengen countries are Germany, Italy, Spain and France.
In this article, we are going to discuss each and every thing which is essential to know for Schengen tourist Visa.
Requirements of Schengen tourist visa
There is a list of important documents that are needed to be submitted for the Schengen tourist visa. The documents are as follows:
- Application form of Schengen tourist visa: The application form must be correctly filled online and signed at the end. Download the two copies of application form.
- Two photographs in line with the Schengen requirements: The photographs should not be more than 6 months old. It should be 35-40 mm in width, close up of the person’s head and top of the shoulders so that the face takes up 70-80% of the photograph.
- A valid passport: Passport should have at least two empty pages in order to affix the visa and be issued within the last ten years. It must be valid for another three months beyond the intended stay in the Schengen Area.
- Neat and clean photocopies of the 1st and last page of the passport (Bio data).
- Previous passports- if applicable: If you have more than one old passport attach them along with the other documents. It is beneficial to tie them together with a rubber band rather than to staple.
- Personal covering letter- original: Personal covering letter is for telling the purpose of visiting the EU, for example, the countries you are planning to travel, the dates, the location where you are planning to stay and other details of the trip.
- No objection letter: No objection letter is from the employer or applicant’s school/ university which states that applicant have contractual obligations in the home country and assures that he/she will return back to the homeland.
- Travel health insurance covering emergency medical, hospitalization and in case of death, repatriation: The members of Schengen Zone states have agreed that the minimum cover should be 30.000 EUR. It must be valid for your entire duration of stay n the whole territory of the area of Schengen.
- Flight reservation- no need to buy actual plane tickets: The embassy wants an individual to purchase a flight reservation in order to prove the indented entry and exit dates. Only one way tickets are not accepted in Schengen area.
- Proof of accommodation for the entire time of stay in the Schengen areas: If you are planning to stay in a hotel then you must show hotel bookings. If you are planning to stay at relatives or friend’s house, then they must submit proof that they have enough space for you.
- Proof of financial status: You must show proof that you possess sufficient funds for the stay in Schengen areas. It is a proof that shows you will be able to financially maintain yourself during the stay. It can be proven this through a bank statement of the past three months. The minimum amount required as proof is different in different countries. For this purpose, you have to consult authorities in your country. It is beneficial to submit documents also to prove your working status in your country.
How to apply for Schengen tourist visa?
The application for a Schengen tourist visa consists of the following simple steps:
- Fill the application form for a Schengen tourist visa.
- Compile all the documents which are required for the Schengen tourist visa.
- Schedule an interview with the embassy of the country you are planning to visit.
- Be present on the appointment day.
- Pay the fees along with application form.
. Now, let’s discuss all these steps in detail:
Step 1: Fill the Schengen tourist visa application form online correctly, here the sample copy of harmonized application for Schengen visa as Form. Print the application form twice and sign on it at the end. Make sure to check the box carefully that mentions “Tourism” at the question regarding the purpose. The Schengen tourist visa application form consists of basic information like name, date of birth, country of birth, passport number and nationality. Make sure you give the correct and same information that is mentioned in the documents.
Step 2: Make sure to arrange and compile all the documents that are required for Schengen tourist visa. You are required to make an appointment at least 15 days before the intended journey to Schengen and the earliest six months before. The interview will be appointed either through the website of the consulate or embassy of the country you are planning to visit, in your country.
Step 4: It is mandatory to show up on time at the appointment center (embassy or consulate). It is beneficial to know that if you late even for a few seconds, then the managers sitting at the centre might cancel your appointment. It takes around 15 minutes to complete the process. The manager at the appointment centre will verify and check all your documents that are required for Schengen tourist visa. .
Step 5: You need to give scanned fingerprints at the consulate’s office if you have never applied for a Schengen tourist visa before. The scanned fingerprints can be re- used for further visa applications over a period of 5 years.
Step 6: The last step is to submit the fees along with the application form. After the completion of the fees, you will get a receipt which you have to keep safe in order to collect the application form. For a chance, your visa gets rejected the fee will not get reimbursed. If you wish to apply again for the Schengen tourist visa, you need to pay the visa fee again.
For more information, you can visit the website.
What is the processing time to get Schengen tourist visa?
Normally, you will be issued with a Schengen tourist visa within 15 days. However, the process might take up to 30-60 days if more additional documents are required to be submitted by the applicant. It is recommendable to apply for a Schengen tourist visa around six days prior to your trip.
What is the validity of Schengen tourist visa?
The validity of Schengen tourist visa is not more than 90 days. However, Schengen embassy decides how long they decide to permit you to stay in Schengen.
What is the fee structure of Schengen tourist visa?
The fee differs between adults and children. The fee for adult tourists is EUR 80. Whereas the tourist visa fee for children from the age of six years and below the age of 12 years is EUR 40.
So, this was all about Schengen tourist visa. I wish you found the steps easy and simple. If you face any difficulty, please mention in the comment section