Marriage registration - Documents Required
Marriage registration - FAQ
1. What is the legal age for getting married under Hindu marriage act?
As per Hindu Marriage Act 1955, the minimum age of groom should be 21 years and the minimum age of bride should be 18 years at the time of marriage.
2. Is it mandatory to have address proof to register marriage?
Yes. Either husband or wife should have address proof.
3. My husband is living abroad . Can I register marriage?
No. For marriage registration purpose physical presence of both husband and wife is mandatory .
4. Who can be witness ?
Friend or family member anyone can be witness who has ID proof
5. Is physical presence of witness is mandatory at the time of marriage registration ?
No , only their signature is required on the registration form . Form should be supported by ID proof and passport size photograph of witnesses.
6. To whom Hindu Marriage Act 1955 applies?
It applies to Hindu, Buddhist, Brahma, Parthana and Arya samaj. It does not apply to Muslim, Christian, Parsi or Jew Communities. But it applies to those who follow Hindu religious customs.