The Standard Visitor Visa is another name given to UK visitor visa. It is a UK short stay visa that allows its holder to stay in the UK for up to 6 months. However, the embassy holds the right to issue visas for a shorter period of time.This visa is established for those that wish to travel to the United Kingdom for purposes of:
- For the purpose of tourism.
- To visit family members.
- For the purpose of Medical treatment.
- Due to some professional reasons.
If you wish to visit the UK on business e.g. attend interviews or conferences, conduct site visits, arrange deals or sign contracts or deliver international goods and/or passengers from abroad, you will need to apply as a business visitor.
Other categories of individuals who must also apply as a business visitor are:
- Academic visitors
- Doctors taking the PLAB test
- Doctors on clinical attachments
- Dentists on observation
- Visiting professors accompanying students on study abroad programmes
- Film crews on location shoots (as long as they are paid or employed overseas)
- Representatives of overseas new media (as long as they are paid or employed overseas)
- Secondees from overseas companies
- Religious workers (as long as they are based overseas and do not wish to take a position in the UK)
- Interpreters and translators accompanying business visitors(as long as they are employed by an overseas company)
- Advisers, consultants, trainers, trouble shooters who are employed abroad by the same company which has the UK branch
- Individuals undertaking specific, one off training in techniques and UK work practices
It is advised that you seek legal advice if you are uncertain whether your purpose for coming to the UK is covered by a business visitor category.
Following are the UK visa requirements :
You must always be able to show that:
- You have plans to leave the United Kingdom at the end of your visit.
- You are able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip in the United Kingdom.
- You are able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit from the UK.
- You have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the United Kingdom, as allowed by the Visitor Rules described by the government of the United Kingdom.
In the case that you are applying for a long-term Standard Visitor visa, you must prove that:
- You will only ever need to come to the UK to visit, for example to go on holiday, attend a meeting or see family members.
- You have a plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit.
- You may be given a visa for a shorter period than requested if you do not follow the above guidelines. You will not get a refund of the application fee in case you get a shorter visa or your application is refused by the authorities.
Please note that your visa may be cancelled and you may get a long-term ban on visiting the United Kingdom if your travel history shows that you are repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.
Documents required for UK visa
You should submit the following documents to apply for a UK visa:
- UK visa application form. According to the UK visa type you are applying for, you may have to complete the form online at the website of the Visa4UK website, or the manual application form
- Two photographs. These photos should be taken within the past six months and in color.
- Your Valid Passport. It must be valid for three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the UK after your trip. It must also have at least one blank page for the visa
- Proof you have the financial means to cover the living costs while in the UK. This may be your bank statements for the last six months, or pay slips for the same period
- Proof of accommodation. You will need to present a document that shows where you will be accommodated while in the UK. Note that you do not have to fully pay a hotel/hostel in UK before getting the visa, just to get such a document.
- Detailed travel itinerary. Submit a travel plan that gives all the information regarding how and what you are planning to do in the UK. Include the travel dates, places you will visit, meeting agenda, booked tour, festival agenda, etc. Click here to learn how to book dummy flight tickets for UK visa
- Tuberculosis Test Results. Nationals of several world countries will need to submit the requests of a Tuberculosis Test in order to be eligible for a UK Visa. Check here if you need to provide the TB test results.
- Biometric information. If you are applying for a visa that lets you stay in UK for more than 6 months, you will need to submit your biometric information. This includes giving your fingerprints and a digital photograph taken at the appropriate application center
- UK visa invitation letter. (If applicable). If you will be staying over at a friend or a family member, then you should submit a letter of invitation. Your host must be a UK national or a legal resident
- Paid UK visa fees. You should submit the receipt that confirms you have paid the visa fee as required.
- Certified translations of any document that is not in either English or Welsh.
Current UK Visa Fees In Indian Rupees – 2019
The fees mentioned below are for all the UK visa categories applied from India in the year 2019:
- Standard Visitor
Short-term (single/multiple entry, for a maximum of 6 months) Rs.7,981
Long-term (for a maximum of 2 years) Rs.30,218
Long-term (for a maximum of 5 years) Rs.54,877
Long-term (for a maximum of 10 years) Rs.68,776
- Short-term Study
Short-term study (for a maximum of 6 months) Rs.8,339
Short-term study for studying the English language Rs.16,051
- Business visitor
clinical attachments, PLAB/OSCE test, and dental observation Rs.8,339
Business visitor – dependant and academic visitor ( for a maximum of 12 months) Rs.16,051
Permitted paid engagement Rs.7,981
Diplomatic courier Rs.7,981
Prospective entrepreneur Rs.7,981
- Special Visitor
Civil or marriage partnership Rs.7,981
How To Apply
Following are the steps involved to apply for UK visa :
Step 1: Visit the link https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/apply and click on the link that says ‘Apply Now’. You will be redirected to a page where you can choose which language you would like to proceed in.
Step 2: After selecting your language, please click on ‘next’. You will then be asked to enter the country in which you are making your application. You will then be presented with a list of Visa Application centres where you must be able to attend an appointment at. These are:
- Bangalore – Whitefield Premium VAC
- Gurgaon Premium Lounge
- Mumbai (North)
- Mumbai (South)
- New Delhi
Step 3: You can then start your application. You will be asked to enter an email address and password so you can save your answers. A unique link will then be emailed to you, which allows you to log back in to your application at a later point, if needed.
Step 4: Then fill in the following details in your application:
- Your given names
- Your family name
- State whether you have you ever been known by another name and enter it, if applicable.
- Home address
- Postal code (if applicable)
- Telephone number
State how long have you lived at this address (days, weeks, months or years)and the ownership status of your home
- Relationship Status
- Country of nationality
- Date of birth (DD MM YYYY)
- Country of birth
- Place of birth
- Passport number or travel document reference number
- Place of issue
- Issue date
- Expiry date
- State whether you have another passport or travel document such as a passport issued by another country or an older passport which has expired but which contains more information about your travel history.
- State whether you have a national Identity card and enter the number
- State your employment status
- If employed, enter Employer’s name, Employer’s address, Town/City, Province/State, Postal code, Employer’s telephone number and Date you started working for this employer.
- Your job title
- State how much do you earn each month, after tax deductions
- Describe your job in India within 250 characters
- State whether you have another income or any savings and describe them.
- State how much money you are planning to spend on your visit to the UK (Estimate the amount and include flights, accommodation and everyday expenses).
- State what is the total amount of money you spend each month
- State whether anyone be paying towards the cost of your visit. Give their details such as how much money they will be paying towards your visit and why they are helping to pay for your visit.
- Date you will arrive in the UK
- Date you will leave the UK
- Choose your spoken language preference to correspond with the authorities
- State the main reason for your visit to the UK
- Give a list of details such as company details or your travel itinerary
- State whether anyone will rely on you for financial support (Include both those travelling with you and those who are not).
- Give details about 2 of your parents such as names, date of birth, nationality, address etc.
- State whether you have any family in the UK and give their details
- State whether you will be travelling to the UK as part of an organised group or with another person
- Give details about your accommodation in the UK
Give your international travel History and any criminal records
Step 5: You will then be allowed to review your application and select the documents you will be submitting. You can then choose the length of Visa you require and sign the declaration form. You can then choose which payment method you require and pay using a credit or debit card.
Step 6: You can then download and print a copy of your visa application. Then, you must make an appointment with the Visa Application Centre and visit the centre with all your required documents. Your fingerprints and photograph will be taken by a biometric process for security purposes.
UK visa status can be tracked. You will receive an email update.when a decision has been made regarding your visa. In case you would like more detailed tracking information, you can also choose to get updates by SMS sent directly to your phone
After a visa application decision has been made, you can collect your documents from the visa application centre, but no third party collections will be allowed. While collecting your documents in person, ensure to bring the receipt issued by the visa application centre and a form of Government identification