For passport application , address proof is mandatory . This address proof for passport should be of one year minimum . If current place of residence is less than 1 year then applicant will have to provide address proof of previous place of residence too.
List of acceptable documents for passport is:
- Water Bill
- Telephone (landline or post paid mobile bill)
- Electricity Bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order – Less used document
- Election Commission Photo ID Card
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head – Less used document
- Spouse’s passport copy (First and last page including family details), (provided the applicant’s present address matches the address mentioned in the spouses passport) – Less used document
- Parent’s passport copy, in case of minors (First and last page)
- Aadhaar Card
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks and Regional Rural Banks only)
- Applicants are required to submit the proof of address of the present address only, irrespective of the date from which he/she has been residing at the given address. However, he/she is required to mention all the places of stay during previous one year (from the date of application filling) in the Passport application form.
- Furnishing of Aadhaar card will expedite processing of passport applications.
- Aadhaar letter/card or the e-Aadhaar (an electronically generated letter from the website of UIDAI), as the case may be, will be accepted as Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Photo-Identity (POI) for availing passport related services. Acceptance of Aadhaar as PoA and PoI would be subject to successful validation with Aadhaar database.
- (For Minor): For minor applicants, present address proof document in the name of parent(s) can be submitted.
- (For Document No. 7): Only public limited companies can give address proof on company letter head along with seal. Computerised print-outs shall not be entertained.
List of less used Address Proof Documents for Passport Application
The following documents can also be used as proof of residence, in case if you do not have any of the above listed documents. But as mentioned in the beginning of this article, different authorities consider different documents as valid address proofs, for which they have their own reasons.
- Identity card – Issued by Central Govt., State Govt., Public sector undertaking, any Public Financial Institution or any Scheduled Commercial Bank for their employees.
- Property Tax Receipt
- Job card – Issued by National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) duly signed by a State Government officer
- Posted Mail with name of applicant
- Insurance Card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- CGHS/ECHS Card
- Arms Licence
- Vehicle registration certificate
- Address card with photo issued by Dept. Of Posts, Govt. Of India
- Photo Identity Card having address (of Central Govt. /PSU or State Govt./PSU only.)
- Credit Card Statement (should not be older than last three months)
- Cast and Domicile Certificate with Address and photo issued by State Government (like Assam and other States)
- Certificate of address issued by MP/MLA/Group A Gazetted Officer on a letterhead
- Pensioners Card- With address mentioned on it
- Freedom Fighter Card- Address should be mentioned on it
- Certificate from Employer- This is applicable for reputed companies only and should be given on company’s letterhead.
- Spouse’s passport copy- It can be used if the applicant’s present residential address matches the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport.
List of Public Sector Banks whose statements/passbooks are accepted as Proof of Address for passports –
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank of India
- Corporation Bank
- Dena Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab National Bank
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- UCO Bank
- Vijaya Bank
- IDBI Bank Ltd.
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
- State Bank of Patiala
- State bank of Hyderabad
- State Bank of Mysore
- State Bank of Travancore
To know the other documents required to make a passport you can refer
For more information you can visit https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink