If you are moving across another state and your vehicle for more than 12 months, you will need to re-registration of vehicle. We are considering moving to a different state. Considering moving your vehicle too, it is intimidating if you do not know the information and process for transferring the car to another state.

When do you need a re-registration vehicle due to interstate transfer?

If an individual is moving to a different state for more than 12 months, then they require to register with the present state RTO.

What happens when you are moving under a year?

If you are moving for a period of fewer than 12 months, you need not register with the present state. but your registration will expire after a year. If you are extending your stay contact your nearest RTO.


The Motor Vehicle Act 1988 gives provision to apply for recording a change of residence address of the registered owner in the certificate of registration of the motor vehicle.

Apply for recording the change in residence (within 14 days of address changed) in the certificate of registration of a motor vehicle of the registered owner of the vehicle in Form 33

Pay the appropriate fee as specified in rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989

Documents required

  • Application in Form 33
  • Certificate of registration
  • Proof of new address
  • Valid insurance certificate
  • Pollution under control certificate
  • No Objection Certificate from financier (in case of hypothecation)*
  • Smart card fee*
  • Attested copy of PAN card or Form 60 and Form 61(as applicable)*
  • Chassis & Engine Pencil Print*
  • Signature Identification of owner*
  • Documents marked with an asterisk (*) may require in some states.

Stages for re-registration of the vehicle to transfer to a different state.


  • NOC from the RTO where your vehicle is registered
  • Re-registration of vehicle process in the new state or union territory
  • Refund of road tax
  • Cancellation of NOC, that is to say, the vehicle does not move to your new location

First Stage of re-registration of the vehicle

Obtain a NOC from the RTO where your vehicle is registered

Suppose the owner desires to remove his vehicle within or outside the jurisdiction of the registering authority of the State; The owner shall apply to issue of clearance certificate with the registering authority where the vehicle is registered.


Apply for a no-objection certificate under section 48 in Form 28 to the registering authority by which the vehicle was previously registered.

In the case of a transport vehicle, furnish additional documentary evidence (permit surrender, challan clearance, tax clearance, fitness clearance)

Pay the due taxes on vehicle, if any

Pay the appropriate fee as specified in Rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989

Form 28 for NOC for re registration of vehicle transfer different state

Form 28: Application form of no objection certificate

Documents required

  • Application in Form 28
  • Certified copy of the certificate of registration
  • Certified copy of the certificate of insurance
  • Evidence of payment of motor vehicle tax up-to-date
  • Pollution under control certificate
  • Chassis & Engine Pencil Print*
  • Signature Identification of owner*
  • Additional documentary evidence for transport vehicle

The vehicle is not covered by any permit issued by any transport authority

Sum of money agreed upon to be paid by the holder of the permit, if any, is not pending recovery

Evidence of payment of tax on passengers and goods under any law for the time being in force up to the date of application.


Stage 2

Re-registration of vehicle process of interstate vehicle transfer

When you have relocated your car to the new location, you should register your vehicle with the new RTO territory. This ensures your re-registration of the vehicle is completed before the NOC is terminated.

Documents needed to initiate the process:

  • Original RC copy
  • Copy of Insurance of the car.
  • Copy of the NOC you obtained in previous steps – from the bank, police department, and the RTO.
  • Form 29 and Form 30 for re-registration.
  • Emission test certificate
  • Photo ID and local address proof.
  • Applicable fees like road tax, octroi charges.

As mentioned earlier, you can drive for a maximum of 12 months in a new city without the need of going for a re-registration of the vehicle as per the rules of the RTO

It takes about approximately 30 days to process your re-registration of the vehicle.

Therefore the RTO will take a few days to issue your registration process.

Hence, it is advised that you register with the present RTO 60 days before expiration.

Stage 3.

Payment of road tax/  refund

Post-re-registration of the vehicle, you are required to pay road tax again in the new state.

Only after the payment, the previously paid road tax will be refunded,

Documents required.

  • I. d proof
  • Address proof
  • New registration certificate
  • Old Registration Certificate
  • Insurance policy with new registration number
  • Application for Road tax refund
  • Updated and signed Form collected from the RTO

After completing the application for a tax refund,  the RTO in the new state will need a CRTI( Confirmation of registration transfer) where it will contact your previous RTO. the previous will issue a CRTI, Post the CRTI issuance.

Finally, the refund will process within six months.

Stage 5

Cancellation of NOC

For some reason, if you did not move your vehicle to your new location but you have completed all the above stages. You will need to apply for the cancellation of your NOC.

Steps to be followed for cancellation of NOC

  1. Collect a NUC (non-utilization certificate) of NOC from the RTO you applied for NOC
  2. Attain an Affidavit stating the reason you want to cancel the NOC and ensuring that the vehicle was not misuse

Re-registration of the vehicle process seems difficult. Although the process takes a longer period to register. If the stages and steps are correctly followed, certainly the task will be completed without any difficulty. If the job seems too difficult for you, you can hire an expert or agent to guide you through the process. To sum up, if you are moving to a new state for more than 12 months, you will require re-registration of the vehicle in the new form; you need to pay your road tax again, then you can get your previous road tax refunded. When you do not move your vehicle after the RTO issues NOC, therefore, you need to apply for cancellation of NOC


(n.d.). Retrieved September 13, 2020, from https://parivahan.gov.in/

(n.d.). Retrieved September 13, 2020, fromhttps://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/