Process for pan card cancellation online as well as offline is a simple process. So, if you by chance own more than one PAN Card, you must cancel PAN Card to escape from the legal repercussions. Herein, we will discuss how to cancel pan card application. But beforehand, let’s know the significance of cancellation of PAN Card and when and why it should be cancelled?
So, let’s dive into the process of how to cancel pan card online. Here, we strive to make the cancellation of PAN Card with our easy-to-follow guide.
Significance of PAN Card
PAN Card is of utmost use as a valid proof of identity. Using one, you can avail yourself of banking services, property buying, etc. Moreover, it allows the liable individuals to pay income tax as per the Income Tax laws. Even today, the Government of India advises the Indian citizens to link their Aadhaar with their PAN Card to prevent inviting a hefty fine.
Before diving into the topic of how to cancel pan card application. Let’s begin with, why and when does the cancellation of PAN Card come into the picture?
Why it should be Cancelled?
Multiple PAN Card under the same individual is a criminal offence. The Income Tax Department cautions the citizens that such practice will invite stringent legal actions.
Income Tax Act, Sections 139A, rules out that any tax-paying individual can hold a single PAN Card. If one holds more than one, Section 272B cautions to invite a hefty penalty of Rs 10,000! Thus, it is strongly advisable to cancel PAN Card that is extra.
Now, as you know why it should be cancelled, let’s discuss how one may mistakenly get more than one PAN Card despite being illegal?
In the further section, we will see how to cancel pan card online as well as how to cancel pan card application offline. Before beginning the procedure for pan card cancellation online as well as offline. Let’s take a look at when you might need to cancel your PAN card.
When do you Cancel PAN Card?
There can be certain scenarios when the cancellation of the PAN Card is of utmost necessity.
- You mistakenly issued multiple PAN Cards under your name for different purposes.
- Indian nationals that are emigrating and henceforth do not require to pay taxes in future.
- The administrative error led to the issuance of multiple PAN Cards.
- The PAN holder is no longer alive.
It is illegal to possess multiple PAN Cards and, therefore, you must cancel PAN Card using the necessary steps. So, if you are looking for them, look further than our blog, keep reading to know about how to cancel pan card application or how to cancel pan card online. You will get to know everything regarding the procedure for pan card cancellation online as well as offline.
What Methods I can Choose to cancel PAN Card?
Cancellation of PAN Card after the digital revolution is a breeze. Today, you can complete the pan card cancellation online or offline.
So, you have the alternative to the offline procedure by uploading the necessary documents required and paying fees with your application online. Herein we will discuss how to cancel pan card online | how to cancel pan card application using both methods.
You can use any of the following documents for your identity proof, date of birth and address proof:
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card with UIDAI
- Photo ID by Central/State Government or Public Undertaking
- Driving Licence
- Arm’s Licence
- Identity Certificate issued by Member of Parliament/MLA/ Municipal Councillor/Gazetted Officer
- Pensioner Card with your photograph
- Contributory Health Scheme for Ex-Servicemen/ Central Government Health Scheme photo card
- Original Bank Certificate from the branch with the bank account number, attested photo, bank account number, name & stamp of issuing officer.
- Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) / Person of Indian Origin card issued by GOI
- Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme photo card/ Central Government Health Scheme card.
How to cancel pan card application
A) Online Cancellation of PAN Card
The online application of PAN and changes/cancellation of PAN Card has a single application. So, let’s dive into the pan card cancellation online. Here is how to cancel pan card online.
- Firstly, log on to tin-nsdl.com. Then, select the option PAN from the Services tab.
If you are using mobile, click on the top right three-line menu and select Services to choose PAN.
- Then, scroll down the webpage to arrive at Change/Correction in PAN Data and choose Apply option.
Pan Card Cancellation Online
- After you choose to Apply, the Online PAN Application webpage will open for pan card cancellation online. Then, select Changes or Correction in the Existing PAN Data option from the drop-down list of Application type.
- Now, Select the Individual category and then fill in your Applicant Information carefully, check in the declaration.
- Retain the Token Number generated when you submit your Application details.
- Click Continue with PAN Application form, to proceed further in the process for cancellation of PAN Card.
- Note: Fill in the PAN Number that you want to retain in the PAN Number column.
Selection of the Method of the Document Upload
So now you are aware of how to cancel PAN card online. Let’s see the selection method for document upload for pan card cancellation online.
- Now, read the guidelines and select the method to submit the documents required for the Cancellation of PAN Application.
- Choose, Digitally through the eKYC & e-Sign option(Paperless) or submit scanned images through the e-Sign option. With e-KYC, the process is much faster as the portal fetches the necessary details from the Aadhaar.
- Following the choosing of the method of uploading of documents required, read instructions and then select whether you want a physical PAN Card or not. Herein, a physical PAN Card is what you will receive by post to your address. While the non-physical method only sends e-PAN to your provided email.
- Besides, you can view the fees from the fees applicable option for either physical/ non-physical PAN Card facilities.
- Then fill in the necessary details like the first four digits of the Aadhaar card number and submit.
Option to Cancel PAN Card
- Now you have to check in the option that says Mention other Permanent Account Numbers (PANs).
- Here, mention all other PAN numbers that you want to cancel.
- Then select Next.
- Now, select the documents required for pan card cancellation online for which you want to upload for proof of identity, address and date of birth, photograph and signature. Upload proof PAN proof if available.
- Ensure that you upload the documents required for the PAN Application in the prescribed file format and size with no password protection applicable.
- Document format: 500 kb or below in PDF format.
- Photograph: Less than 50 kb in JPEG format with dimensions: 3.5×2.5cm.
- Signature: Less than 50 kb in JPEG format with dimensions: 2×4.5 cm.
If you have chosen eKYC, all the proofs will choose Aadhaar and you need not upload any additional documents required, including photograph and signature.
- Finally, complete the declaration, fill in your residential place and date of application, and submit.
The number of documents you mention goes as such: Supposedly, if you choose Aadhaar for proof of identity and Passport for both address proof, and date of birth, the total document count you will mention as three and not two.
- You will now the PAN number that you mentioned in the application’s start and want to retain comes already mentioned.
- Now, enter the last eight digits of your Aadhar number and verify the details to proceed.
- Finally, payment of the fees using any of the available payment options after checking in the check box of Terms of Services.
- Now, Continue after the Payment Receipt page shows up.
- Check declaration and proceed to OTP Authentication.
- Then, select Continue with e-sign for NSDL Authorization and enter your Virtual ID (VID) or Aadhaar number to receive OTP on the registered mobile number.
- Finally, enter your date of birth as your password in the format DDMMYY to open the Acknowledgment form.
That’s all regarding how to cancel pan card online or pan card cancellation online.
Now we will take a look at how to cancel pan card application offline in different ways.
B) How to Cancel Pan Card Application Offline
Here are few methods mentioned for how to cancel pan card application offline
- You can visit your nearest NSDL TIN Facilitation Centre to fill out the required form. Alternatively, you can download the form.
- Log on to the TIN NSDL website, click on the downloads and choose PAN and then Request for New PAN Card Or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data Form option to download the form. You can directly download the Changes in the PAN application form from here.
- Attach the necessary documents required and fees and submit the form to the TIN facilitation centre.
- You can write the letter addressing the assessing officer of your jurisdiction and get back the acknowledgement receipt as proof.
- The letter includes your name, address, details of the PAN you want to retain. Also, mention the PAN Card details you wish to cancel/surrender.
How to Cancel Pan Card Application of a Deceased?
Although not mandatory, you cancel PAN Card of the deceased by addressing a letter to that jurisdiction’s Assessing Officer(AO) with which the PAN Card is registered.
The legal heir or the representative of the deceased must mention the reason i.e, the death of the holder, with PAN and date of birth detail. Additionally, attach a copy of the death certificate of the holder and submit it.
That’s concludes how to cancel pan card application for the deceased.
You can opt for cancellation of PAN Card if you no longer are an Indian national or are emigrating. If you happen to possess multiple PAN Cards for some reason under your name, it becomes crucial to cancel PAN Card that is extra immediately. Income Tax Department strictly discourages the possession of more than one PAN Card under one’s name and, thus, doing so can land you in trouble.
Today, the process of pan card cancellation online as well as offline has become much easier and thus, you can cancel PAN Card with the click of your finger. So, we hope our blog will come out as a great help to assist you in the extra PAN Card’s cancellation process.
That’s all regarding how to cancel pan card application | how to cancel pan card online