So, if you want to know is police verification required for reissue of passport? Then you are at the right place. In this blog, we will check whether it is required or not. So, let’s begin
Is police verification required for reissue of passport?
No, police verification is not required for the reissue of passports, provided the application for re-issue is submitted before the expiry of the passport or within 3 years of expiry of the passport.
So, now you get your answer to your query” Is police verification required for reissue of passport?”
After the applicant has submitted the request to renew their passport and has made the request successfully The Passport Seva makes a decision whether the person in question needs check by a police officer or not. It is worth noting that there are two kinds of verifications by police.
- Verification of pre-police Pre-police checks will be carried out if there are any changes in the Name, Address or other personal information in the application to the renewal of their passport. This process is to make sure that the applicant provided complete and accurate information on the application they made.
- Verification of post-police A post-police check is conducted when there no changes in the name, address or other personal information on the application for renewal of their passport.
It is worth noting that the pre-police verification as well as post-police verification will depend on the information provided by applicants at Passport Seva and the availability of the resources needed to conduct these verifications.
Is passport renewal and re-issue the same thing? No, passport renewal is done when you want to increase the validity of your passport.
Then what is re-issue of passport?
Reissue of Passport
Passport is re-issued if the person needs a new passport. It consists of a whole new booklet. Passport will be re-issued only in the following cases:
- Passport expired for 3 years
- Passport about to expire
- Lost passport
- Passport stolen
- No pages left in booklet
- Passport damaged
- Passport soiled
- Changes in particulars (if validity – it is called renewal)
In the earlier section, we discussed “is police verification required for reissue of passport?” Now, let’s see where you can apply for a reissue of your passport.
Where to apply for re-issue?
Click here to visit the official website.
In the earlier section, we discussed “is police verification required for reissue of passport?” Now let’s see how to apply for reissue of passport
How to apply for a re-issue of passport?
Follow the simple easy steps for re-issue of passport
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva websitewww.passportindia.gov.in. Now register through the Passport Seva Online Portal. Click here to register as a user.
- After completing registration, log in to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the above registered Login Id.
- Now Click the “Re-issue of Passport” link.
- Make sure you have accurately filled information in all the required boxes in the form and then click submit.
- We are now halfway through the process. Click the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link on the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” screen box in order to schedule an appointment with the authorities. Currently, online payment has been made mandatory for scheduling appointments at all PSK/POPSK/PO. Online Payment can be completed with the help of any one of the following modes:
- Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard and Visa).
- Internet Banking
- Click the “Print Application Receipt” link to help print the application receipt, which contains the Application Reference Number (ARN), also known as the Appointment Number.
Note: You no longer have to compulsorily carry the printout form of the Application Receipt. Alternatively, an SMS containing your appointment details is now eligible to be accepted as proof of the appointment, during your visit to the Passport Office (PSKs/POPSKs).
- Coming to the final step, after going through all the tedious processes, here’s some light at the end of the cave. You can now happily visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO), wherever your appointment has been scheduled, along with the original documents and the mobile device containing the SMS of appointment details.
In the earlier section, we discussed “is police verification required for reissue of passport?” Now let’s see the documents required for the reissue of the passport.
What documents are required for re-issue of passport?
- Identity Proof– It is a legally recognised document containing name of the person.
- Photographs– You need to submit 2 recent passport sized photographs
- Age proof– It is a legally recognised document containing date of birth of the person.
- Old passport– Submit old one for re-issue
- Address proof– It is a legally recognised document containing address of the person and it should match with the application made.
- First two and last two pages of passport– submit self-attested copies
- Appointment Application Receipt– in case you had made online payment, take a printout of the receipt and take it along you.
- Aadhaar card
- Bank passbook photo
In the earlier section, we discussed “is police verification required for reissue of passport? Now, let’s see what are the changes at PSK/POPSK due to these pandemics.
Are there any changes at PSKs/POPSKs(centres) due to COVID-19?
Yes, the centres were not operational for a while and are now operating following COVID-19 guidelines as issued by State/Central government. Intended applicants can now book the appointments for Passport and related services, to the nearest operational Post Office Passport Service Centre (POPSKs) / Passport Seva Kendra (PSKs) as per schedule.
In case of emergency/medical cases and if none of the PSKs are operational, applicant may approach the concerned Passport office. Due to Covid-19 protocols, scheduled appointments can be cancelled at the discretion of the Ministry and you will be informed accordingly, so kindly be alert for any updates.
But to be on the safer side, applicants are advised to check the appointment status prior to their visit to the office, to avoid any hassles at the office. Applicants are required to wear a mask, carry sanitizer.
It is advisable to download and install Aarogya Setu App and make sure you follow all the social distancing norms at Post Office Passport Service Centre (POPSKs) /Passport Seva Kendra (PSKs) during their visit for scheduled appointments.
In the earlier section, we discussed “is police verification required for reissue of passport? Now, let’s see some FAQs regarding passport reissue.
The Police verification process varies by state and norm. The police will visit your address to confirm the information you have entered in your passport application. To prove your identity, you will also have to show documents.
An officer will provide a clearance report after a successful inspection. After receiving a Police Verification Report (PVR) from a respective police station, the passport office would dispatch your passport within 3 days.
Reissuing passports does not require police verification if the application is submitted before the passport expires or within three years after the passport expires.
FAQs on Passport Reissue
What is the difference between passport renewal and re-issue?
A passport is re-issued if you need an absolutely new passport. Renewal is extending validity of the passport.
Is it possible to apply for re-issue of passport online?
Yes, you can apply for it in online mode.
How to change the place of birth in the passport?
Click here to apply for re-issue of passport.
I need to return to India for an emergency but my passport is missing, what to do
You can travel to India with the help of the ‘Emergency Certificate’. For that, you would need to contact the respective mission/post of the country from where you want to travel back.
My passport has been expired for 4 years now. Is police verification required for re-issue of passport?
Yes, since it has been 3 years of expiry of passport. You need to apply for re-issue of passport and undergo police verification as well.
How long does it take to reissue an Indian passport?
Normally the entire process for reissue of passport is around 15 days. But in case of tatkal mode, it takes less than 10 days.
My passport will expire in 4 years. Can I apply for re-issue of passport?
Applicants can apply for a re-issue of passport only up to 1 year before the expiry and not earlier.
Disclaimer: This article should not in what so ever manner be interpreted as legal advice. And this article is only to help the residents of Delhi, be aware of the basics of traffic rules and violations. The above-mentioned details shall vary over time, so kindly visit the official website and verify before arriving at a decision.