As per the motor vehicle act you need to renew your driving license after the expiry of it. For the renewal, you need to book an online appointment for renewal of driving licence.
A driving test is not required for the renewal of the same category vehicle license. But if you are changing the category then you need to give a driving test. Then driving test is mandatory for the renewal of the driving license.
Online Appointment for Renewal of Driving Licence
To get the online appointment for renewal of driving licence follow the given steps.
- First, you need to go to the https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in.
- Then on the website, you will see the option of the appointment book on the left side of the page.
- Click on the menu slot and on DL test slot booking.
- Then fill in the required information.
- Then click on go to process.
- And then select the date and time for the slot.
- OTP will send to you your registered number.
- Verify the OTP and click on confirm.
- You will get Online Appointment for Renewal of Driving Licence
Validity of the renewed driving license
Now you learnt the process for an online appointment for renewal of driving licence. Let’s check the validity of the renewed driving license is below:
- For the transport vehicle – 3 years
- For the non-transport vehicle – 5 years
Documents required for the driving license renewal
If you have successfully scheduled the online appointment for renewal of driving licence, you need to keep the documents handy before visiting RTO. Following are the documents you need for the renewal of the driving license.
1. Application form no. 9
2. Photocopy of driving license (expired)
3. Form 1
4. Form 1A
5. Passport size photograph
6. Address proof
- Ration card
- Voter id
- Aadhar card, etc.
7. Age proof
- Birth certificate
- Education certificate, etc.
Steps for the online renewal of a driving license
After having an online appointment for renewal of driving licence you need to apply for DL renewal. Here are the steps for the driving license renewal online:
Go to the https://parivahan.gov.in/
- Click on the online services.
- Go to the driving license-related services tab.
- Click on the apply online and then click on the services on driving license.
- Then fill in the basic details such as name, address, date of birth, etc.
- Then submit the form. And then you need to visit the RTO for the document verification.
- When documents are verified then you will receive your renewed driving license.
Steps for checking the status of the renewed driving licenses
Now that you have scheduled online appointment for renewal of driving licence. as well as you have applied for dl renewal. You might be waiting for it. You can check the status of a renewed driver’s license. Below are the steps from which you can check the status of the renewed driving license:
- Go to the official portal of the parivahan seva.
- Click on the online services.
- Then click on the driving license-related services.
- Select you to state which you have applied for.
- Click on application status and fill in the required information. Such as date of birth, and application number.
- Enter the captcha and view the status of your application.
Importance of Renewal of Driving Licence
Section 177 under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 stipulates that no one can be a driver within India with no valid license and that doing so is a crime punishable by law which could result in an amount of 500 rupees. 500 or a prison sentence of as long as 3 months.
The driver’s license can be used for up to 50 years. The expired license for driving can only be used for one month i.e. 30 days after which you are able to renew it for a fee of the penalty. If your expired license was not renewed within 5 years of the date of expiration then you must apply for a new driver’s license.
Frequently asked questions
Q 1: Getting an online appointment for renewal of driving licence in normal case required?
A: No, if you are not changing the vehicle category then you don’t need to make an appointment for the driving skill test. But if you are changing the category then you need to take online appointment for renewal of driving licence.
Q 2: What is the eligibility for the driving license renewal?
A: If you expired then you are eligible for the renewal.
Q 3: Can I renew my driving license online?
A: No, you can only fill out the form for the renewal and make an online appointment for renewal of driving license. Then for the test, you need to visit the RTO. And after passing the test your license will be renewed.
Q 4: If my renewal driving license gets rejected then can I get the fees refunded?
A: Yes you can get a refund of the half fees paid if RTO rejects the renewal of your driving license.
Q 5: Should I renew my driving license after expiry?
A: Yes, you renew your driving license by visiting the nearest RTO or online.
Q 6: What is Form 1 that I need to submit for the driving license renewal?
A: Form 1 is the form for the self-declaration of your physical fitness. This is one of the required documents that you need to submit for the driving license renewal.