Want to know how to change name in passport? Passport name change process or passport name correction process can be tricky. A name change in an Indian passport can be because of a name change or surname change. It can also be a passport name change after marriage. We will discuss documents required for change of name in passport in the further section along with passport name correction procedure
Your name and address are among the important information on your passport. You should fix the passport name correction as soon as possible if your name is spelled incorrectly.
In this article, we will explain how to change your name in your passport and what documents you will need. At the end of this blog, you will be able to learn about how to change name in passport and passport application mistakes corrections. So, continue reading.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re wondering how to change your name on your passport. HereHere, I’ll explain in detail how to do name change in Indian passport or passport correction. Along with the documents required for change of name in passport.
Reasons for a name change in an Indian passport
Before diving into how to change the name on passport or passport name correction procedure? Many people require passport name correction. Let’s discuss the reason for a name change. The following are the most common reasons for passport application name change.
- Changing name or surname after Marriage
- After Re-Marriage
- After Divorce
- Other Circumstances
I will be discussing how to change name in passport in every case mentioned above one by one. So, keep reading to know passport name correction procedure.
Documents required for change of name in passport
Whatever your reason for changing your name, the passport name change process is pretty straightforward. Depending on your situation for name change in Indian passport, you will need to submit different documents.
The documents required for name change in Indian passport vary in different situations. After that, the procedure for the passport name change is more or less the same for every case. I am mentioning the documents required for change of name in passport below for each case.
This article goes into further detail on how to change name in passport. It also provides instructions on how to process the passport name change.
Required Documents for passport name change in Indian passport After Marriage
Documents required for change of name in passport for those Women who want to change their name in passport after getting married. Then for the passport name correction procedure, along with their Passport Application, they must present the following documents. (At the time of their appointment at the passport office):
- A photocopy of her or her husband’s passport (if she has one).
- Photocopies of their marriage certificates that have been self-attested.
- Documents for Passport name correction after marriage. How to change surname in passport? | how to change name in passport?
Required Documents to Change Name in Passport After Divorce
If a woman wants to change her surname in passport or remove spouse’s surname from passport after divorce. Then for passport name correction procedure, along with their Passport Application, they must present the following documents required for change of name in passport. (At the time of their appointment at the passport office):
- Certified copy of Divorce decree.
- Deed poll/Sworn Affidavit by a Notary on a Stamp Paper (Non-Judicial) of minimum value (ANNEXURE ‘E’).
Now, let’s have a look at the required documents for passport name change after re marriage before diving into how to change name in passport.
Required Documents to Change Name in Passport After Re-Marriage
If a woman wants to have her passport name change or change surname on her passport due to remarriage. Then, in addition to the Passport Application, she must present these documents required for change of name in passport. (At the time of visiting the Passport Office for an Appointment)
- Divorce proof with respect to husband or Death Certificate of Husband.
- Photocopy of the Passport of Husband (If available).
- Self-Attested Photocopy of the Marriage Certificate.
(* the marriage certificate should be issued by the Registrar of Marriage office. OR, it should contain a Joint Affidavit of Husband and Wife with Joint Photograph on a Non-Judicial Stamp Paper (Annexure ‘D’).
Required Documents for Passport Name Change for All Other Circumstances
All applicants who want to change name in passport (surname or both name and surname) for any reason. They must bring the following documents required for change of name in passport to their Passport Application appointment for the name change in indian passport:
- Deed poll/Sworn Affidavit by a Notary on a Stamp Paper (Non-Judicial) of minimum value (ANNEXURE ‘E’).
Newspaper advertisement regarding your name change in any two daily leading newspapers. (It must be published in your city or town)
How to Change Name in Passport
Normally, to change a name in a passport or for passport application mistakes corrections, one needs to use the Passport Seva Service and apply for a “Re-issue” of the passport. To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form for Name change in Indian passport, please check the previous section. See the steps for reissuing a passport to change name in passport online:
- For a passport name change, go to the official passport Seva website by clicking the below link. Passport Seva Home | Indian Passport | Passport | Passport Seva Project (passportindia.gov.in)
- Now if you are already a registered user, log in using your valid credentials. If you are new to this then, you have to click new user registration and create an account.
- After logging in you will see a list of services. Choose ‘Apply for fresh passport/reissue of passport’ for passport name correction procedure.
- On the next page, chose alternative 1 to apply online. Chose alternative 2 if you want to apply offline.
On the next page, choose reissue of passport’. Then, by checking the appropriate boxes, select which details you want to change. Then click the next button.
- Now you have to fill in some details for the name change in Indian passport. After that, check the box “yes” to agree with the terms and conditions. Then, click save my details, and then click Next.
- After that, enter the details
- Next, you have to verify some details in either yes or no. after completion save your details and click next.
- Following that, you will be shown a preview of the information you have entered. So, check them and then press the next button.
- You have to choose the document as the proof of date of birth and current residency. You can choose an Aadhaar card in both cases if you want.
- Now you will see a preview of your application. Print it and click next.
- After that, you have to complete the payment procedure by clicking the pay online. After successful payment prints the receipt and click next.
- On the next page, you will have to choose an appointment. So, click next and you will see a list of appointments available.
- Book an appointment date on the next page. The green-coloured dates are available.
- Now you have to upload documents. Therefore, scan the documents and upload them. Click the upload button.
- After that, the final receipt of your application will be shown. Print it and click close. The online application procedure is finished.
Now that you’ve shown up at the passport office on the day of your appointment with all of the documents listed above. (According to your reason for changing your name) That’s all. Simply wait and your reissued passport with updated details will be sent to you to your address by mail.
What is the procedure for the Passport Name Change Offline?
The following is the passport name correction procedure if you want passport name change
- Change the name in the Central Gazette: The first step is to establish a Name change in Indian passport affidavit with the applicant’s information, including the old name, the new name, the reason for the name change, and the applicant’s address. The new name will be published in the Gazette once the procedure is finished, and copies must be kept for future use.
- Post advertisements in newspapers: An advertisement must appear in two local publications, preferably one in English and one in the reader’s native tongue.
- Contact the regional passport service center to request a new passport: You have two options for submitting the application: online or in person at the center. Visit the Passport Seva website to complete Form No. II for Miscellaneous Services online. The fee must then be paid.
Required time to complete the procedure to change the name in the passport
Let’s take a look at the time required for passport name correction procedure. The process is similar to applying for a fresh passport and the time taken is also similar. It usually takes around 3 weeks to 1 month but it can vary based on other situations. Also, you have to pay a standard 1500 Rupees fee for reissuing your passport or for the passport name change.
That’s all about how to Change Name in Passport and passport name correction procedure, documents required for change of name in passport.
How much it cost to change your name on passport?
One must apply for re-issuance of the current passport if their name or residence changes, among other personal information.
The application fee is 2000 (for 60 pages) and 1500 (for an additional booklet owing to the exhaustion of visa pages) for a passport renewal with a 10-year validity (for 36 pages). A person must also pay an additional $2,000 for tatkal services.
Additionally, the application charge for reissuing a passport for a minor with a 5-year validity is 1000 rupees (for 36 pages), and there is a further tatkal fee of 2000 rupees.
Passports are important legal documents, and everyone should secure one of them. We know from personal experience that changing the information on a passport can be a hassle and also a difficult process.
They can now change and access information on their passports online, which is very convenient. As more and more people have been experimenting with how they can change the names on their passports, the need to change these names online has been increasing.
If you have any queries regarding the name change in Indian passport, please feel free to leave a comment below. We are glad to respond to any comments you may have regarding any changes to your Indian passport you request. It is our pleasure to have you visiting us. We hope you enjoy your time here.