If you have applied for a passport, you must be wondering what is the proof of address for passport? What you can submit as present address proof for passport, and you might want to know about address proof for passport. So, let’s look at the article more closely to figure out your answer and learn more about address proof for passport application.
In addition to a driver’s license, a passport is one of the most important documents that a person can possess with them at all times. If you plan on traveling internationally, it is essential that you have your passport with you at all times. As you will need your passport in order to verify your identity while traveling, it is considered one of the most important travel documents you will need.
Passport applications require proof of address. Furthermore, this address proof for a passport application must be valid for at least a year. If you have been in your current residence for less than a year, you must also provide address proof from your previous residence.
Proof of address for passport
Generally, you can use an electricity bill, an Aadhar card, a rent agreement, a passbook from an active bank account, a gas bill, or a water bill as a proof of address for passport
Address proof for passport
Mainly, you can provide an electricity bill, aadhar card, rent agreement, passbook of an active bank account, proof of gas connection, or a water bill as address proof for passport application.
The following is a list of documents that you can use as present address proof for passport.
- The Water Bill
- The telephone (landline or postpaid mobile bill)
- The Electricity Bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order – A less frequently used document
- Election Commission Photo ID Card
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head – Less used document
- Spouse’s passport copy (along with first and last page including family details), (provided the applicant’s present address matches the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport) – Less used document
- Parent’s passport copy, in case of minors (First and last page)
- The Aadhaar Card
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks and Regional Rural Banks only)
Note: Present address proof for passport.
- Applicants are required to submit only the present address proof for passport, irrespective of the date from which he/she has been residing at the given address. However, he/she is required to mention all the places of stay during the previous year (from the date of application filling) in the Passport application form.
- Furnishing of Aadhaar cards will expedite the processing of passport applications.
- Aadhaar letter/card or thee-Aadhaar (an electronically generated letter from the website of UIDAI), as the case may be, will be accepted as proof of address for passport and Proof of Photo-Identity for availing passport related services. Acceptance of Aadhaar as proof of address for passport and Proof of Photo-Identity would be subject to successful validation with the Aadhaar database.
- (For Minor): For minor applicants, a present address proof document in the name of parent(s) can be submitted.
- (For Document No. 7): Only public limited companies can give address proof on the company letterhead along with a seal. Computerized print-outs shall not be entertained.
Adults, senior citizens, and kids all require the same documentation (below 18 years of age). The sole exception is that in the case of minors, you will be required to provide a declaration affirming the minor’s details as stated in Annexure D of the application. Adults (aged 18 to 65) must also indicate if they fall into the Non-ECR (Emigration Check Required) category, which will necessitate the submission of a few more papers. The entire list of papers is available on the Passport Seva webpage.
That concludes the acceptable present address proof for passport. However, there are some more documents that you can use for proof of address for passport or present address proof for passport application. So, let’s take a look at the list of documents.
List of less used Proof of Address for Passport
If you do not have any of the above-mentioned documents, the following can be used as present address proof for passport application. Different authorities, as indicated at the outset of this article, regard different documents to be valid evidence of address for passport purposes, each for their own reasons.
- Identity card – issued by Central Govt., State Govt., Public sector undertaking, any Public Financial Institution or any Scheduled Commercial Bank for their employees.
- Property Tax Receipt
- Job card – issued by National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) duly signed by a State Government officer
- Posted mail with the applicant’s name on it
- Insurance Card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- CGHS/ECHS Card
- Arms Licence
- Vehicle registration certificate
- Address card with photo issued by Dept. Of Posts, Govt. Of India
- Photo Identity Card having address (of Central Govt. /PSU or State Govt./PSU only.)
- Credit Card Statement (should not be older than last three months)
- Cast and Domicile Certificate with Address and photo issued by State Government (like Assam and other States)
- Certificate of address issued by MP/MLA/Group A Gazetted Officer on a letterhead
- Pensioners Card- With address mentioned on it
- Freedom Fighter Card- Address should be mentioned on it
- Certificate from Employer- This is applicable for reputed companies only and should be given on the company’s letterhead, and
- Spouse’s passport copy- It can be used if the applicant’s present residential address matches the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport.
Finally, that concludes the subject. I’ll wrap up the topic of proof of address for passport as well as present address proof for passport.
So, let’s take a look at the list of public sector banks whose passbooks are accepted as the proof of address for passport or your present address proof for passport.
List of Public Sector Banks whose statements/passbooks are accepted as Proof of Address for passports –
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Canara Bank
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Central Bank of India
- Corporation Bank
- Bank of India
- Dena Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab National Bank
- State Bank of Patiala
- Syndicate Bank
- Union Bank of India
- UCO Bank
- Vijaya Bank
- State Bank of India
- IDBI Bank Ltd.
- State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
- State bank of Hyderabad
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- State Bank of Mysore
- United Bank of India
- State Bank of Travancore
The application for a passport requires various documents in order to be successful. Go through the list for address proof for passport application I have outlined below. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section. I will gladly assist you in any way I can.
Also, for more information, you can visit https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink