Are you planning to apply for a learner’s licence or a permanent driving licence in Chennai? If yes, then you should know the required documents and fees structure of the procedure. Without these, you will find a lot of difficulties while applying for a driving licence. In this article, we are going to discuss the driving licence fees in Chennai. The fees for driving licence in Chennai can be paid in online as well as offline mode.
It is mandatory to apply for a driving licence if you are driving on the roads of Chennai.
According to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, a driving licence is a legal document showing that a citizen is allowed to drive any kind of vehicle as he/ she has passed the driving test. It also serves as identification proof.
The government has made the payment method easier by making online transactions. Now people can pay the fee and book the time slots for driving licence by sitting at their homes.
The applicants can make online payment of driving licence fees by visiting the official website of the Transport Department of Tamil Nadu https://tnsta.gov.in/homepage . Alternatively, the applicants can also pay the driving licence fees online by visiting the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website, which is also known as Parivahan Sewa https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ .
Below is the complete breakdown and driving licence fees structure in Chennai.
Driving licence Fees in Chennai
Check out the driving licence fees in Chennai, the applicants must pay the fee along with the required documents and other documents.
The fee structure for a permanent driving licence in Chennai
- If you are applying for a driving license, Charge is Rs. 200
- Want to renew driving license:Charge is Rs. 200
- If you want to have International Driving License in Chennai: Pay Rs. 1000
- Wanna Renew International driving license: Pay Rs. 500
- If you want to Renew driving license after the grace period: Charge is Rs. 300
Driving License Fees in Chennai after Grace Period is RS 300. The duration is 3 months. If you are applying for driving license renewal in the grace period, the fee is RS 200.
You can pay driving license fees online or offline. To pay online, you can visit Tamil Nadu Government Transport Portal. To pay offline, visit the RTO.
Disclaimer:-The fees are subject to change. ISo, check latest fee structure with the RTO.
Fee for learner’s driving licence in Chennai
In Chennai, the fees for a learner’s licence for two wheeler licence fees in Chennai and four wheeler licence fees in Chennai are as follows:
|Fee for Form 1
|Fees for Form 2
|Fees for Form 3
Fee for an International Driving Licence in Chennai
An international driving licence permits its holder to operate a vehicle outside of India.
The applicant has to pay the following Driving licence fees in Chennai :
|Fees for International Driving Licence Permit
Driving licence fees for permanent driving licence in Chennai
The applicant has to submit the fees along with documents.
Below is the structure of the driving licence fees in Chennai.
|Fees for Driving Licence Grant
|Fees for Driving Licence Test
|Fees for Road Safety Cess for Driving Licence for Geared/ Non- Geared 2- Wheelers
|Fees for Road Safety Cess for Driving Licence for Non- Transport Light Motor Vehicles
|Fees for Road Safety Cess for Driving Licence for Transport Light Motor Vehicles
|Fees for Form 7 or Smart Card
|Fes for Road Safety Cess for Driving Licence for Medium and Heavy Motor Vehicles
How to pay online driving licence fees in Chennai?
As we discussed earlier, there are two ways to pay online driving licence fee in Chennai. The applicants can either visit the Ministry Of Road Transport and Highways website or the Transport Department of Tamil Nadu.
Here are some few simple steps to follow for online payments-
Online payment through Parivahan Sewa
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Hover above the “Online Services” tab.
- Click on “Driving Licence Related Services” from the drop- down menu.
- Click on the “Select State Name” tab and choose Tamil Nadu.
- Hover above the “fee payment” tab/
- Click on the “fee payment” option from the drop- down menu/
- Read the “instructions for online payment for the LL/DL applicants” and click on “proceed”.
- Enter the “application no.” and “date of birth” before clicking on the “click here to calculate fee” tab.
- Once all the details are generated, click on the “Bank/ gateway/ treasury” drop down option.
- Enter the verification number in the space provided.
- Click on the “pay now” or ‘pay later” tab to complete the payment.
Important Facts about Online Driving Fees in Chennai
There are few things to know about driving licence in Chennai before starting the procedure and paying the fees.
Apply for learner’s license online. Attempt learning license test and pass it. Wait for 30 days.Within 180 days from the date you issued learner’s license, apply for permanent driving license. Attemp driving license test. You will get your permanent license on the same day or it can took few minutes.
So when you are paying driving licence fees in Chennai , keep these points in mind:
- You need learner license before you apply for driving license for at least 30 days.
- Your learner license will be usable till next 3 months only.
- Always apply for a driving license from the same RTO from where you get the learner’s license.
- If you get the driving license, you will get validity for 20 years in Chennai.
- If you fail the driving test, apply for it after a week.
- You can easily pay driving license fees online or offline.
Documents Required for driving licence in Chennai
Following is the list of documents that are required to deposit along with the driving licence fees in Chennai.
These are the documents submitted to obtain a permanent driving licence in Chennai:
- Original learner’s licence
- Application form number 4
- Age proof –
10th class mark sheet
- For address proof-
Copy of passport
LIC policy (that may be older than 6 months at least)
- Copy of PAN card
- Receipt of the payment fees
So, this was all about the driving licence fee in Chennai. We discussed the maximum information related to this topic. If you have any queries, please mention in the comment box.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1: How much fees for driving licence in Tamil Nadu?
A1: The fees for driving licence in Tamil Nadu is RS. 800.
Q2: How much is the license renewal fee in Chennai?
A2: The license renewal fee in Chennai is RS. 200.
Q3: What is the full form of LLR?
A3: The full form of LLR is Learner's License.
Q4: What happens if you fail your driving test 3 times in India?
A4: If you fail your driving test 3 times in India, you will have to wait for 30 days before you can attempt the test again.
Q5: What is the validity of driving licence in Tamilnadu?
A5: The validity of driving licence in Tamilnadu is 20 years.
Q6: What is the age limit for driving Licence in Tamilnadu?
A6: The age limit for driving Licence in Tamilnadu is 18 years.