Your passport is considered damaged if the passport number is unreadable, name is illegible, photo is not intact or it is damaged beyond recognition. And in this case, you need to apply for a Duplicate Passport. But the passports which are partially damaged in which the name, photo and passport number of the holder is legible, can apply for Reissue of Passport.
Passport holders whose passports are partially damaged can avail of the Tatkaal scheme and apply for a re-issue of their passport. However, if a passport has been completely damaged, the Tatkaal scheme cannot be availed as the individual has to report at his nearest Passport Seva Kendra to get a Duplicate passport
How to apply for Duplicate Passport:
Applicants can choose to apply for a duplicate passport online, through the Passport Seva website managed by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
When applying for a duplicate passport, individuals are required to submit a fresh passport application form. This is the same form as the new passport form. The form can be downloaded from the Passport Seva website managed by the Government of India.
In the 'Applying For' section, tick the Re-issue of Passport' option and select the relevant option from the ones provided:
- Validity expired within 3 years/due to expire
- Exhaustion of pages
- Validity expired more than 3 years ago
- Lost passport
- Change in existing personal particulars
- Damaged passport
Based on the option selected, provide the relevant details in the subsequent columns. Fill in all the relevant information and attach copies of the documents mentioned as below.
Documents required for Passport - If you are applying for Duplicate Passport
The documents which have to be submitted are listed below:
- Affidavit with details of how your passport got damaged or was lost (Annexure 'L')
- No Objection Certificate (Annexure 'M')/Prior Intimation Letter (Annexure 'N')
Current address (proof)
- Telephone bill
- Certificate from Employer
- Water bill
- Election Photo ID card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Passport copy of spouse
- Aadhar Card
- Parents' passport copy
- Gas Connection
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Police report (FIR)
Date of birth (proof)
- Secondary School leaving certificate from the last school attended or an educational institution which is recognized
- Birth certificate issued by a municipal authority or an authorized office
- Semi-literate or literate applicants: Affidavit sworn before a notary stating the place and date of birth (Annexure 'A')
- Photocopy of the first and last pages of old passport (ECR/Non-ECR page), if available (optional)
- Passport-size photographs
It is important to note that submission of a photocopy of the previous passport is not compulsory. However, pertinent details mentioned in the previous passport such as place of issue, date of issue, passport number and date of expiry should be submitted with the passport application form. In case an individual does not have the aforementioned details, he should contact embassy officials.
For more information, visit website - www.passportindia.gov.in