Passport lost? Confused about the lost passport procedure? Want to apply for a duplicate passport? In this article, we will explain the lost passport procedure and documents required for a lost passport.
A passport is an essential and mandatory travel document, issued to a citizen of a country by its government, which ensures the nationality and identity of its owner. In India, there are multiple types of passport and they are further differed by page count.
But in case the passport lost or is damaged, torn or soiled, you will need a duplicate passport to travel. Here I will be discussing how to apply for a duplicate passport in details. So, keep reading. But first, let’s know some important facts and technicalities for a duplicate passport.
In which cases you are allowed to apply for a duplicate Passport
There are some case in which you can apply for a duplicate passport. Don’t worry if you have some other reason, you just have to opt for one of them during application.
Case 1. Passport LOST
If you lose your passport, you can apply for a duplicate passport. But in this case, you have to file a report immediately at the nearest police station and passport office. If you live outside of India, you can contact the Indian Mission in the country. After that, you can follow the standard Duplicate passport application procedure which is mentioned below.
Case 2. Damaged Passport
If your passport is damaged or soiled or it is in a bad condition, you can apply for a duplicate passport. Remember that the damaged passport is further categorised based on its condition. The two categories are—
- Partially damaged passports, in which the name, passport number and photo of the holder are intact or can be recognized.
- Totally damaged passports in which the details are not recoverable at all.
If your passport is categorized in the first category, you will be able to avail tatkal scheme which is a lot faster than the normal duplicate passport making process. It is unavailable for the latter category. The process is the same for both damaged and lost case.
Case 3. Other Emergency Situations
There are some several emergency situations in which you can apply for a duplicate passport. Suppose you are an Indian citizen and travelling abroad, but you have to enter India for some emergency situation like the death of a family member and you found out that you have lost your passport. In a situation similar to this, you can apply for a duplicate passport.
Required Documents for Duplicate Passport Application
To apply for a duplicate passport, you need the following documents
- Affidavit with details of how a passport got damaged or was lost (Annexure ‘L’)
- No Objection Certificate (Annexure ‘M’)/Prior Intimation Letter (Annexure ‘N’)
- Current address (proof)
- Telephone bill
- Certificate from Employer
- Water bill
- Election Photo ID card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Passport copies of spouse
- Aadhaar Card
- Parent’s passport copy
- Gas Connection Bill and passbook
- Rent Agreement
- Police report (FIR stating your missing passport report in case of lost passport)
- Proof of Date of birth
- HS level school certificate
- Valid Birth certificate
- Semi-literate or literate applicants: Affidavit is sworn before a notary stating the place and date of birth (Annexure ‘A’)
- Photocopy of the first and last pages of the old passport (optional)
- Passport-size photograph
In a lost case, it might not be mandatory to submit a previous passport photocopy. But you might be asked to provide some details about the passport.
How to Apply for Duplicate Passport Online
If you want a duplicate passport, applying online might be the best option for you as it is easy and time-efficient. In order to do so go to the official Indian passport service website www.passportindia.gov.in and follow these steps.
- Open the link and the home page of the website will open.
- If you are new to the website, register yourself. Those who are registered can log in using their ID and password.
- Now you will see the list of services. Choose “Apply for fresh passport/Re-issue of passport” and now choose to apply online by clicking the blue hyperlink under Alternative 1.
- In the next page check the appropriate boxes and click next. Do the same for the next page.
- Now in the next page fill the application form and go to the next page until you find a page asking for uploading documents.
- Now upload the required documents and check the second checkbox if you want to be notified about your duplicate passport status by SMS. It will cost you extra 50 rupees.
- Next, choose “pay and schedule appointment” and then choose a payment option.
- After that, you will see the list of appointment availability. On the next page choose a suitable appointment date from the dates highlighted with green. Sometimes it tells that you did not book an appointment but don’t worry. Login sometime later and book the date again.
- Now complete the payment procedure and print the receipt on successful payment. If you face any server issue, try again later.
- Print the application receipt.
- Go to the appointment place on a fixed date and get the verification process done.
You can track your application status on the same website and also you will get updates to your registered mobile no if you opted for that.
Also Read:- How to get a duplicate driving license in India
How to Apply for Duplicate Passport Offline
You can also apply for a duplicate passport offline.
In this case, you should have all the required documents. You can do it at your nearest regional passport centre or PSK or PO. Here is the procedure to apply for a duplicate passport
- First, go to passportindia.gov.in and print the application form.
- Fill the form and upload other documents in the website.
- Get the ARM receipt.
- Go to PSK or CSS or PO and submit it with all documents and make an appointment.
Remember the procedure is different for PSK, CSS, PO etc. for more detailed discussion visit here
Fees for Duplicate Passport
There is a fee for applying for a duplicate passport as per the government policy. The amount depends on several aspects like a reason for making a duplicate passport, the number of pages in the passport, how urgent you need the duplicate passport, type of passport etc.
You can check the table below to see the different fees:
|Reason for Re-issue||Number of pages||Normal||Tatkal|
|Replacement of passport due to loss/damage/theft||36||Rs. 3, 000||Rs. 5, 000|
|Replacement of passport due to loss/damage/theft||60||Rs. 3, 500||Rs. 5,500|
There are some additional charges based on area or if you opt for SMS notification.
Time Required to get your Duplicate Passport
It is an official process where police verification may be involved. But usually, the normal duplicate passport making procedure takes about 7 days to 1 month. But if you opt for the tatkal duplicate passport, you can get it in 2-4 days. The time it takes also depends on the police verification procedure. So, be patient and you will get your duplicate passport. If you need any further help, free to contact us. ITZEAZY is always happy to help you.
If you liked the article, leave a comment below and don’t forget to share. Thank you for visiting us. I wish you have a nice day.