Passport lost? Confused about the passport lost procedure? Want to know how to apply for lost passport? In this article, we will explain how to get duplicate passport and documents required for a lost passport application. Along with lost passport fee. We will also take a look at the documents required for lost passport India
In case the passport lost or is damaged, torn or soiled, you will need a duplicate passport to travel. Here I will be discussing how to apply for lost passport in detail. So, keep reading to know about passport lost application. But first, let’s know some important facts and technicalities for a duplicate passport.
After you’ve misplaced your passport, you’ll need to report it to the nearest police station. One should bring their address proof and, most importantly, a copy of their passports to this process.
If you don’t have one, make an appointment with your nearest Regional Passport Office (RPO) and get the documents required for lost passport India. After that you can follow the passport lost procedure for duplicate passport.
In which cases you are allowed to apply for lost passport application
If you want to apply for lost passport application then you need to follow passport lost procedure step by step. And after that, you have to pay the lost passport fee. But, there is some case in which you can apply for a duplicate passport. Don’t worry if you have some other reason, you just have to opt for one of them during application.
Case 1. Passport LOST
If you lose your passport, you can apply for a duplicate passport. But in this case, you have to file a report immediately at the nearest police station and passport office.
If you live outside of India, you can contact the Indian Mission in the country. After that, you can follow the standard Duplicate passport application procedure or passport lost procedure which is mentioned below and then pay the lost passport fee. The documents required for lost passport India are also mentioned below.
Case 2. Damaged Passport
If your passport is damaged or soiled or it is in a bad condition, you can apply for a duplicate passport. Remember that the damaged passport is further categorised based on its condition. The two categories are—
- Partially damaged passports, in which the name, passport number and photo of the holder are intact or can be recognized.
- Totally damaged passports in which the details are not recoverable at all.
If your passport is categorized in the first category, you will be able to avail tatkal scheme which is a lot faster than the normal duplicate passport making process. It is unavailable for the latter category. The process is the same for both damaged and lost cases.
Before knowing how to apply for lost passport and what is the passport lost procedure, documents required for lost passport India. Let’s have a look at how to get duplicate passport in emergency situation
Case 3. Other Emergency Situations
There are several emergency situations in which you can apply for a duplicate passport. Suppose you are an Indian citizen and travelling abroad, but you have to enter India for some emergency situation like the death of a family member and you found out that you have lost your passport. In a situation similar to this, you can apply for a duplicate passport.
To know how to apply for lost passport and what are the lost passport fee, keep reading the article. In the next section, we will talk about documents required for lost passport India
Documents required for lost passport India
You’ll need the following documents required for lost passport India if you want to learn how to get duplicate passport and you want to apply for lost passport application :
- Affidavit with details of how a passport got damaged or was lost (Annexure ‘L’)
- No Objection Certificate (Annexure ‘M’)/Prior Intimation Letter (Annexure ‘N’)
- Current address (proof)
- Telephone bill
- Certificate from Employer
- Water bill
- Election Photo ID card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Passport copies of spouse
- Aadhaar Card
- Parent’s passport copy
- Gas Connection Bill and passbook
- Rent Agreement
- Police report (FIR stating your missing passport report in case of lost passport)
- Proof of Date of birth
- HS level school certificate
- Valid Birth certificate
- Semi-literate or literate applicants: Affidavit is sworn before a notary stating the place and date of birth (Annexure ‘A’)
- Photocopy of the first and last pages of the old passport (optional)
- Passport-size photograph
In a lost case, it might not be mandatory to submit a previous passport photocopy. But along with these documents required for lost passport India you might be asked to provide some details about the passport.
How to Get Duplicate Passport Online
Here is how to apply for lost passport. If you want a duplicate passport, applying online might be the best option for you as it is easy and time-efficient. Let’s see how to get duplicate passport online. In order to do so go to the official Indian passport service website www.passportindia.gov.in and follow these steps.
- Open the link and the home page of the website will open.
- If you are new to the website, register yourself. Those who are registered can log in using their ID and password.
- Now you will see the list of services. Choose “Apply for fresh passport/Re-issue of passport” and now choose to apply online by clicking the blue hyperlink under Alternative 1.
- In the next page check the appropriate boxes and click next. Do the same for the next page.
- Now on the next page fill out the application form and go to the next page until you find a page asking for uploading documents.
- Now upload the required documents and check the second checkbox if you want to be notified about your duplicate passport status by SMS. It will cost you extra 50 rupees.
- Next, choose “pay and schedule appointment” and then choose a payment option.
- After that, you will see the list of appointment availability. On the next page choose a suitable appointment date from the dates highlighted in green. Sometimes it tells that you did not book an appointment but don’t worry. Login sometime later and book the date again.
- Now complete the payment procedure and print the receipt on successful payment. If you face any server issues, try again later.
- Print the application receipt.
- Go to the appointment place on a fixed date and get the verification process done.
You can track your application status on the same website and also you will get updates to your registered mobile no if you opted for that.
Also Read:- How to get a duplicate driving license in India
Now that you know how to get duplicate passport online and what documents required for lost passport India. Now let’s look at how to apply for lost passport offline.
How to Apply for Lost Passport
Here’s how to apply for lost passport offline.
In this case, you should have all the required documents. You can do it at your nearest regional passport centre or PSK or PO. Here is the passport lost procedure
- First, go to passportindia.gov.in and print the application form.
- Fill the form and upload other documents in the website.
- Get the ARM receipt.
- Go to PSK or CSS or PO and submit it with all documents and make an appointment.
Remember the procedure is different for PSK, CSS, PO etc. for more detailed discussion visit here
Fees for Lost Passport Application
There is a lost passport fee as per the government policy. The amount depends on several aspects like a reason for making a duplicate passport, the number of pages in the passport, how urgent you need the duplicate passport, type of passport etc.
You can check the table below to see the different lost passport fee for different passport lost procedure :
|Reason for Re-issue||Number of pages||Normal||Tatkal|
|Replacement of passport due to loss/damage/theft||36||Rs. 3, 000||Rs. 5, 000|
|Replacement of passport due to loss/damage/theft||60||Rs. 3, 500||Rs. 5,500|
There are some additional charges based on area or if you opt for SMS notification.
Time Required for Lost passport application
Passport lost procedure is an official process where police verification may be involved. But usually, the normal duplicate passport making procedure takes about 7 days to 1 month. But if you opt for the tatkal duplicate passport, you can get it in 2-4 days. The time it takes also depends on the police verification procedure. So, be patient and you will get your duplicate passport. If you need any further help, free to contact us. ITZEAZY is always happy to help you.
If you liked the article, how to apply for lost passport online, how to get duplicate passport offline, passport lost procedure, Lost passport application, lost passport fee and documents required for lost passport India.
Leave a comment below and don’t forget to share. Thank you for visiting us. I wish you have a nice day.