A fitness certificate for commercial vehicles or private vehicles is mandatory in India. The Motor Vehicles Act states that the requirement of vehicle fitness certificate issued by the manufacturer and another fitness certificate issued by the state RTO authorities after inspecting its condition, its pollution certificate, tax, insurance, and other such details. Therefore, the fitness Certificate of commercial vehicles is compulsory annually.
This category includes all public transportation vehicles, such as buses, both private school and public transportation buses, taxis, and auto-rickshaws.
How to get fitness certificate for commercial vehicles?
It is necessary to obtain fitness certificate for commercial vehicle otherwise you may get penalty. Apart from this , it is useful for maintaining vehicle health and controlling pollution. So it explains types and how to get fitness certificate for commercial vehicles. There are two ways for getting fitness certificate for commercial vehicles as follows
Apply for Vehicle Fitness Certificate offline
- To apply for a Vehicle Fitness certificate (FC), the applicant has to approach the RTO office to which his area belongs.
- Completed Application Form for FC:
- Form 20
- Form 38 for Transport Vehicles
- Also, make sure you have all the necessary documents to process the application
- The applicant should make sure they are eligible for applying for this procedure
- Application forms are also available at the appropriate RTO offices
- The applicant should bring in their vehicle for inspection.
- Submit the completed application forms and documents on the counter and pay the appropriate fee where the officials would start processing your application.
- Inspection of the vehicle for fc for commercial vehicles as per norms is carried out to issue FC
Also Read: Vehicle Fitness Certificate
Apply for Vehicle Fitness Certificate Online
for getting fitness certificate online follow the procedure as:
- Use the online portal Parivahan.
- Enter the registration Number as prompted and hit “PROCEED.”
- A new screen will open to give you options to choose from. Choose “Apply for Fitness Renewal/Re-Apply after Fitness once failed” to get a new screen.
- Enter your Chassis(Last five digits) number and click the button next to the chassis number box
- In the next screen, Fill in the required details and upload documents to process the online procedure.
- Take a printout of the acknowledgment and application form.
- Go to RTO on the scheduled date to submit and process the request process further.
Documents required to apply for fitness certificate for commercial vehicles
The list of the documents that are needed to apply for a vehicle fitness certificate:
- Application form 22 for a certificate of compliance with pollution and safety standards of roadworthiness
- Receipt for Tax duly paid
- The Original Registration Certificate
- Certificate of Insurance
- A valid Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Certificate of Permit, as per the requirement
- Pencil imprint of motor Vehicle Chassis
- Address Proof – It can be any one of the following
- Aadhaar Card
- Ration Card
- Voters Identity Card
- Any valid Life Insurance Policy document
- Payslips either issued by any Government office or any corporate
- Proof of age: It can be any one of the following
- Pan Card
- Aadhaar Card
- School matriculation certificate
- Voter’s identity card
- Birth certificate
- Passport-sized photograph
Validity Fitness Certificate for Commercial Vehicles
Fitness certificate for Commercial vehicles, the vehicle fitness certificates are effective for two years period for a newly bought car, and then it is renewed for a year.
Fess and user charges for fitness certificate
The Motor vehicle Act 1989 imposes a penalty of INR 100 for not producing a vehicle fitness certificate for the 1st time. For the following offenses, the amount rises to INR 300. Please note that the penalty for not taking a valid vehicle fitness certificate might be as high as INR 2000 to about INR 5000.
Steps to take if you fail a vehicle Fitness test
The RTO examiner will not issue a vehicle fitness certificate when your vehicle does not satisfy the term’s Motor vehicle Act, 1989.
Besides, the officer-in-charge has to give you in writing stating the reason why your vehicle failed.
Also, After that The RTO examiner will notify the registering authority of the same.
In this case,
- Complete all servicing and repair of the vehicle.
- Apply for the refurbishment of the vehicle fitness certificate.
- Bring the vehicle for a review.
- You will need to apply for a fresh vehicle fitness certificate with new payments
The vehicle is physically inspected by the RTO inspector.
Vehicles that follow the required rules for certain parts of the vehicle are considered safe to drive on the road.
Commercial vehicle licences are valid for two years and must be renewed every two years.
According to the government website “Parivahan Sewa,” a fitness certificate should be applied for 30 days before it expires.
In a nutshell, the procedure entails submitting the completed form along with the required documents to the RTO. The vehicle is then inspected on the scheduled date and time.
You will be given or denied a fitness certificate based on the vehicle’s performance.
(n.d.). Retrieved September 19, 2020, from https://parivahan.gov.in/ Manual
(n.d.). Retrieved September 19, 2020, from Fees & User Charges