Driving a vehicle is necessary for moving from one place to another freely. To drive a vehicle, we need a valid driving licence which is a significant thing in our lives. But along with driving, obeying all the traffic rules is our responsibility. It also includes driving without drinking. Drink and drive is very risky and a criminal offence. It will cause to pay drink and drive fine.
Kindly read till article till the end to know about drunk and drive fine along with some additional information.
Drink and drive fine
Drink and drive is illegal in India according to the section 185 of the Motor Vehicles Act. The drivers who disobey this rule are faced with huge amount of drink and drive fine or even imprisonment.
Most of the road accidents are because of drink and driving. According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) reports drunk driving led to over 38000 road accidents between the years 2018-2020. In 2019, nearly 3000 people died in drink and driving accidents. This has really become a cause of concern among the people. Keeping this in mind, the government has levied drive and drive fine ranging up to Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15000 and/or imprisonment.
So, if you want to know the drink and drive fine, please refer the below points for clear understanding.
- For the first offence for drink and drive, you might have to face a traffic violation fine of Rs. 10,000 and/or imprisonment for a period of 6 months. Before 2019, the drive and drive fine for first offence was Rs. 2,000.
- For the second offence for drink and drive, you might have to face a traffic violation fine of Rs. 15,000 and/or imprisonment for a period of 2 years. Before 2019, the drive and drive fine for second offence increased from Rs. 3,000. All the repeated offenders may face penalties regarding their driving licence too.
Process for testing drunk and drive ?
You might be thinking who will check if you are drunk and driving. So, the traffic police officers are given the charge to check for drink and drive testing. If any vehicle is stopped on road for drunk driving, the police officer will ask the driver to give a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test. The driver will be asked to blow into a breathalyzer. If the value of alcohol exceeds 30 mg per 100 ml of blood, it shows that the driver has exceeded the permitted limit, and will have to face the drunk and drive fine.
It is important to note that never refuse to give the test to the traffic police officer. If the police suspects drunkenness, they have the power to suspend driver’s driving licence and place them under arrest without the warrant. Police may take the respective driver to the local police station or hospital for blood test. This is meant serious because the driver who is driving has put his/ her own life at risk and also the life of other drivers who are driving on roads.
You can check more information at website
Procedure to pay drink and drive fine
If you have committed the crime of drunken driving, then you have to pay the drink and drive fine. As discussed earlier, if the value of alcohol exceeds 30 mg per 100 ml of blood, then the traffic police will issue a challan for the drink and drive fine. The traffic police officers are also authorized to detain the vehicle.
You can pay the drink and drive fine either in online or offline mode. Let’s discuss both the methods in detail.
Online method to pay drink and drive fine
Follow the below mentioned steps to pay drink and drive fine online.
- Visit the official website of your respective State’s Transport Department.
- Select “Traffic Violation Payment” or “Payment of e- challan” option
- Enter your challan number or vehicle registration number.
- Enter the captcha code and proceed to the next page.
- You can make the payment via e- wallets, UPI, debit cards or credit cards.
- They will send receipt on registered mobile no. Show the receipt at the police station so that they can release your vehicle.
Offline method to pay drink and drive fine
Follow the below mentioned steps to pay drink and drive fine offline.
- Visit your nearest traffic police station in the area.
- Show your challan and ask for the drink and drive fine you are liable to pay.
- Pay the drink and drive fine in the police station. They will provide you the receipt. Keep it safely.
It is better to avoid drunken driving rather than paying the drink and drive fine. It is beneficial to follow traffic rules as repeated offence attracts heavy penalties and/ or imprisonment.
1. Is the drink and drive fine same for all the vehicles?
Yes, the drink and drive fine is same for all the vehicles whether it be a two wheeler, four vehicle or a commercial vehicle.
2. How to avoid drink and drive fines in future?
To avoid drink and drive fine follow some rules. Like:
- Don’t drink when you know you have to drive
- Always book a cab or auto when you plan to drink.
Always remember that driving or not, drinking is always injurious to the health. It is not only about paying fines, but drinking can end up with a lot of health problems.
This was all about drink and drive fines. If you face any problems, mention in the comment section.