1. Christian Marriage Act
The Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872, relates to solemnization of marriage of persons professing Christian religion. The Act provides that any marriage solemnized otherwise than in accordance with the Act shall be void.
Solemnization of Christian Marriage
Under Section 5 of the Act Christian marriages can be solemnized by -
- A person who has received Episcopal ordination,
- Any clergyman of the Church of Scotland,
- Any Minister of Religion licensed under the Act,
- A Marriage Registrar appointed under section 7 of the Act and
- Any person licensed under section 9 to grant certificates of marriage.