Bharat number plates (BH series number plate) are here to make life easier for people who have a transferrable job. Every motor vehicle on the roads of India is assigned a registration number. This identification, called a Vehicle Registration Plate, or number plate, is provided by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) at the district level in each state.
The RTO holds the primary authority concerning road-related affairs. These number plates are affixed to both the front and rear of the vehicle. In this blog, we’ll explain everything you need to know about BH Series registration plates, including how to get them and what perks they bring.
What is the BH series number plate?
The BH series number plate is a type of vehicle registration plate introduced by the Indian government in the year 2021 to provide a uniform registration process across different states in India. One of the critical features of the BH series is that it allows vehicle owners to transfer their vehicles from one state to another without having to change the number plate.
The road transport ministry has proposed a new regime of BH series for registration of personal vehicles owned by defense personnel, employees of Central and State Governments, PSUs and private sector companies and organizations, which have their offices in five or more states/ UTs.
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, Section 47
The Motor Vehicles Act, in Section 47, states that if you have a vehicle registered in one state and you keep it in another state for more than twelve months (which is a year), you need to get it re-registered in that new state or city.
If you work in state government, central government or defence and work in any other organization which has branches in 5 or more states or union territories and you need to transfer after 12 months, then you need to re-register your motor vehicle number of that state.
After this period, the vehicle’s registration was supposed to be transferred from the present to the new state. The vehicle registered with a BH series doesn’t require any transfer registration every time the owner moves. The BH series number plate remains valid throughout the country, India.
What was the reason behind launching the BH series number plate?
Relocating a car or a two-wheeler to another state may often be painful. First, you need a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your current state, then you have to get your vehicle re-registered in the new state. And don’t forget, you’ll have to pay road tax all over again in the new state.
People who have jobs where they have to move around a lot, like those in the Defence, Railways, other government jobs, or even in companies that are in different states, often have to deal with all this complicated paperwork for their vehicles. But now, things are changing. The government has come up with a new system to make things easier; it’s called the Bharat number plate.
|Name of the Rule||Bharat series or BH series|
|Concerned Ministry||Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH)|
|Concerned Act||The Motor Vehicles Act|
|Central Motor Vehicles (Twentieth Amendment) Rules|
|Date of Introduction/ Launch||28th August, 2021|
|Introduced for||Non-transport vehicles|
|Purpose||To ease the registration process for a vehicle moving to a new state|
|Starting of the registration process||15th September, 2021|
|Mode of registration||Online|
BH Number Plate Eligibility
The new number plate in India, known as the BH series (Bharat number plates), is exclusively available to salaried individuals, but certain conditions apply.
- Any government employee
- Any employee in PSU Undertaking
- The employee should work in the private sector, and their company must have offices in at least four states or union territories.
Benefits of using Bharat number plates
There are numerous benefits that comes up with using Bharat number plates for your vehicle. Some of them are here as follows:
- Nationwide Recognition: The BH series license plate is uniformly accepted across India, making vehicle identification consistent and hassle-free.
- Non-Transport Vehicles: BH series is exclusively for personal vehicles, streamlining registration for private owners.
- Convenience: When moving to another state, vehicle owners find it easier. They don’t have to deal with complicated and time-consuming steps to register their vehicles again.
- Clear Visibility: Featuring black numbers on a white background, it ensures easy identification for authorities.
- Efficiency Boost: Bharat number plate series eliminates the need to change plates when moving states, saving time and effort.
- Online Tax Payment: Road tax can be paid online for 14 years.
- Annual Tax Renewal: After 14 years, yearly road tax payment becomes mandatory.
- Reduced Paperwork: BH series license plate minimizes paperwork, streamlining the registration process efficiently.
Format of BH Series Number Plate
Unique format: YY BH #### XX: The BH series license plate follows a distinctive structure. It comprises four main components:
- YY: Represents the year of registration, helping ascertain the vehicle’s age.
- BH: Stands for Bharat series, signifying the national standardized registration.
- ####: Consists of four digits, contributing to a unique identification code.
- XX: Comprises two alphabets (excluding O and I), further personalizing the plate.
Road Tax for BH Series Vehicles
Indeed, the new BH series changes the taxation structure. Its uniform across India. As per the new taxation structure, if a vehicle has a value of less than ten lakh rupees, the owner ought to pay eight per cent road tax.
However, If the vehicle costs between 10-20 lakh, the owner must pay ten per cent road tax. Similarly, if the price of the vehicle is more than twenty lakh, the owners have to pay a twelve per cent road tax.
Also, the taxation differs for different vehicles considering the fuel type/ power source. Road tax on diesel engine is 2% more than the petrol/ CNG vehicle. However, a vehicle with an electric engine saves the owner two per cent tax on their vehicle.
Road tax rate on BH number plate vehicle is on the invoice price excluding GST .
Road tax slabs for BH Series Number Plate
|Invoice Price of Vehicle||
Road tax on petrol, CNG vehicle
|Road tax on EV||
Road tax on Diesel vehicle
|Below Rs. 10 lakhs||
|Rs. 10 lakhs- 20 lakhs||
|Above Rs. 20 lakhs||
Note – In case, where the vehicle bears BH-Series registration mark, the motor vehicle tax can be paid for minimum two years, or in the multiples of two, as the case may be.
Documents required for BH series
Following are the additional documents required for BH series number plate registration, in addition to the vehicle registration documents :
- Working certificate in Form 60, in case the applicant working in private sector applies for BH-Series registration mark
- Official Identity Card, in case the applicant working in Government office applies for BH-series registration mark
How can I apply for a BH series number plate online?
Securing a BH series number plate online is a straightforward and user-friendly process. Follow these steps for a seamless experience:
- Go to the official Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) e-vahan portal.
- Click on the “Vehicle Registration” tab and select “Bharat Series” from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your vehicle details: name, address, make, model, engine number, and chassis number.
- Upload essential documents: proof of eligibility and address verification.
- Complete the necessary registration payment.
- Upon submission, you’ll receive an acknowledgement slip containing a unique application ID.
- After successful document verification, your BH series number plate will be promptly issued.
Bharat Series Number Plates Summary
To sum up, the Bharat Series Registration Plates mark a significant advancement in Indian vehicle registration. The aim is to simplify the process of re-registering a vehicle when relocating between states, particularly benefiting State and Central Government employees.
Is the BH number plate costly?
The cost of a BH series number plate varies based on the vehicle's value, categorized into three price slabs: - For vehicles under 10 lakhs, it's 8% of the total car cost. - Vehicles priced between 10-20 lakhs require a payment of 10% of the vehicle's price. - Vehicles exceeding 20 lakhs necessitate payment of 12% of the total cost.
Is the BH series number plate only for govt employees?
The BH Series number plate caters to individuals with transferable jobs, including central and state government employees, PSU personnel, defence staff, and private sector employees in companies with offices across at least 4 states or UTs. It exclusively applies to non-transport vehicles, and only eligible candidates can currently apply.
Is Bharat number plate available for two-wheelers?
The BH series or Bharat Series number plate is available exclusively for non-transport cars. It's not accessible to all citizens; eligibility is extended to government employees, both state and central, PSU employees, and private industry employees with offices in a minimum of 4 states or UTs.
Why do you need a BH number plate?
First, the BH series number plate was made to help people with transferable jobs re-register easily. Now, even new car buyers can use it, especially if they might move for their job. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) is behind this effort to make registration smoother for more people.
Can I convert my current car registration to one from the BH series?
Yes, the government has introduced a recent notification allowing vehicles with regular number plates to transition to a BH series registration plate. However, it's important to note that opting for the BH series registration involves the application of applicable taxes on the registered vehicle.