The application of a duplicate pan card should be used when PAN has already been allotted to the applicant but the applicant requires a PAN card.
Therefore the Income Tax Department will issue a new PAN card bearing the same PAN details to the applicant.
PAN applicants can now apply online for duplicate pan card or Reprint of PAN card
(only when there is no change required in data) by clicking the following link Online NSDL
PAN holders whose latest PAN application was processed through NSDL e-Gov and/ or e-filing portal of Income Tax Department can use this facility
Option for an update of PAN details will not be available through this facility.
When do you need a duplicate PAN Card?
A duplicate pan card is needed in any one of the following situations:
- Misplaced or theft
- Damaged PAN card
- change in name or address
Offline mode of Application for duplicate PAN card
Firstly, download and print the “Request for new PAN Card or/ and changes or Correction in PAN Data” form.
Secondly, fill the application form in block letters.
Thirdly, attach 2 passport size photograph with signature. Do not sign on the passport size photograph
Fourthly, send the application along with the payment, proof of identity, proof of address and proof of PAN to the NSDL facilitation centre.
After receiving payment print the generated acknowledgement form containing 15 digit number
Fifthly, the facilitation centre then sends your application to the Income-tax PAN services unit for further action.
Sixthly, you can check the status of your duplicate PAN card using the 15 digit acknowledgement number generated. By clicking on StatusTrack
Finally, when the department receives the application, they will dispatch the duplicate PAN card within 2 weeks
Online mode of Application for duplicate PAN card
Firstly, visit TIN-NSDL onlineservices.nsdl.
and select the application type as “Changes or correction in existing PAN data/ Reprint of PAN card (No changes in existing PAN data)”.
Secondly, fill in the information marked as mandatory and then submit it.
Thirdly, you will receive a generated token number in your email-id provided by you on the previous page.
Note that token number for future reference and continue with the application filing.
Fourthly, select any one of the following mode of submission of your PAN application form.
1. Forward application documents physically :
Print the acknowledgement form generated after payment with the copies of documents required and sent by the registered post to the PAN services unit of NSDL .
2. Submit digitally through e-KYC & e-sign (Paperless) :
Aadhaar is mandatory for availing this option.
All the details given in your Aadhaar should be alone used in the duplicate PAN card application.
The Aadhaar registered number will receive an OTP for authentication of details provided.
You do not need to upload photo, signature and any other documents.
You will require to give your digital signature (DSC)to e-sign the form while submitting the final form through this option.
3. Submit scanned images through e-sign :
For this option, Aadhaar is mandatory but you will have to upload scan images of photograph, signature and other documents.
Only an OTP will authenticate the application form.
Fifthly, you have to select whether you need a physical PAN card or an e-PAN card.
If you select for an e-PAN card, then you have to provide a valid email id.
The email-id provided will receive the digitally signed e-PAN card.
Sixthly, fill details in the “Contact & other details” and also the “document details” page and submit the application.
Seventhly, the site will direct you to the payment page and on completing the payment and generate a 15 digits acknowledgement number.
Furthermore, you can check the status of your duplicate PAN card using the 15 digits acknowledgement number generated. StatusTrack.
Finally, when the ITD receives the application
The authorities will dispatch a duplicate PAN card within 2 weeks
Fees and user charges
Request for Reprint of PAN card submitted through the separate online link
- Dispatch of physical PAN Card in India (Communication address is Indian address)- 52 rupees
- Dispatch of physical PAN Card outside India (when communication address is a foreign address ) – 959 rupees
Points to note:
There is no requirement of submitting an application form along with supporting documents for processing this PAN card reprint request.
Read the guidelines below to know more.
- For Changes or Correction in PAN data, fill all mandatory fields (marked with *) of the Form
and select the corresponding box on the left margin of the appropriate field for required correction.
- If the application for issuance of duplicate PAN card without any changes in PAN related data of the applicant,
fill all fields in the Form but do not select any box on the left margin.
- In case of either a request for Change or Correction in PAN data or request for re-issuance of a PAN Card without any changes in PAN data,
the ITD database will update the address for communication using the address for communication provided in the application.
The form required for application of duplicate pan card
Use form Request-for-New-PAN-Card-or-and-Changes-or-Correction-in-PAN-Data-Form for a reprint of PAN card or for making changes/correction in PAN data.
Proof of Identity and Address
- Documents acceptable as proof of identity and address are mentioned in detailed instructions for documents to be submitted.
Read our previous article on application of PAN card under subheading documents required. apply-for-pan-card
- For a minor applicant (i.e. below 18 years of age at the time of application), any documents acceptable as proof of identity and address of any in the name of the parents/ guardian will be accepted as the proof of identity and address of the applicant.
- Proof of address in the name of spouse/parents/sibling etc will not be accepted as valid proof of address.
- Proof of Address is required for the address mentioned in “Address for communication” in item no.7. This address should be mentioned in the proof.
- If item no.8 is ticked & filled in, proof of address mentioned therein is also required.
Proof of PAN
- You will require to produce a proof of PAN for the PAN currently in use (i.e. existing PAN), mentioned at the beginning of the application before item no. 1
- Proof of PAN can be one of the following only:
- Copy of PAN card; or
- Copy of intimation letter issued by the Income Tax Department in lieu of PAN card intimating PAN.
- In case one of the above proofs are not available, a copy of FIR (stating loss of PAN card) can be submitted.
If you do not submit proof of PAN (as stated above), the application may process on a ‘good effort’ basis even without a copy of FIR.
During verification at NSDL, if the authority’s find differences between the PAN or the data provided in the application with the ITD database,
the application may not process and the processing fee will be forfeited.
Proof for Change in data of PAN Requested
The applicant should provide further documentary proof to support request for correction or change in PAN data like name, father’s name, date of birth, for example:
- Request for change (marginal correction like spelling correction, expansion of initials, etc.,) in applicant’s or father’s name will have to be supported with a suitable proof of identity containing corrected data.
- Request for change (significant change) in applicant’s or father’s name will need proof that will contain a proof of a change of name from the old to the new in addition to the proof of identity.
The documents that shall be accepted as proof in this case are:
- For married women – change of name on account of marriage – marriage certificate, marriage invitation card, the publication of ‘name-change’ in the gazette, a certificate from a gazetted officer stating name change, copy of passport showing husband’s name.
- Individual applicants are other than married ladies – publication of `name-change’ in the gazette, a certificate from a gazetted officer stating name change.
- On the other hand, companies – ROC’s certificate for a name change.
- However, partnership firms – revised Partnership Deed
- Request for correction of date of birth (for individuals) and date of incorporation (non-individuals) will have to be supported with documents issued by competent authority containing the correct date.
- the ITD database will update the address for communication with the address for communication mentioned in the application, even if the applicant does not request a change in address for communication.
If the core data relating to the PAN (the applicant’s name, date of birth, father’s name (for an individual), name and date of incorporation [for non-individual])
provided in the application substantially varies with the PAN data in the ITD database and the applicant has not requested for the change
in the same with sufficient support documents, the applicant will state of this difference.
In such a case, the applicant will have to provide the required support documents.
In conclusion, Duplicate pan card is a permanent account number with the same details as your previous PAN.
The process includes submitting duly filled form form
With the required documents. Followed by payment of fees which generates the 15 digits acknowledgement number.
Print out the receipt and acknowledgement receipt and then send the form along with documents and passport size photographs to the ITD- PAn department.
after approval of the application, the authority will dispatch the duplicate PAN card either by post or mail. Depending on the PAN card you have chosen.
PAN. (n.d.). Retrieved September 26, 2020, from https://www.tin-nsdl.com/service/
(n.d.) retrieved September 27, 2020, from https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/
(n.d.) retrieved September 26, 2020, from https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/