As per the norms of Delhi Government Guidelines, cars that are 15 year old diesel and 10 years old petrol cannot be driven on roads.
Judicial pronouncements with regard to petrol and diesel vehicles:
- In 2015, the National Green Tribunal (NGT)had banned the plying of petrol vehicles older than 15 years and diesel vehicles older than 10 years in the National Capital Region (NCR);
- It also banned the parking of 15-year-old vehicles in any public area;
- On October 29, 2018, the Supreme Court endorsed the NGT order and directed that such vehicles be impounded;
- Further, in 2019, the NGT had issued a series of orders directing the Delhi-NCR Government to cancel the registration of 10-year-old diesel vehicles;
- Recently, the Supreme Court has admitted an appeal from the central government seeking to vacate the NGT’s order by which NGT had refused to lift ban on diesel vehicles on NCR roads.
Delhi: All diesel vehicles completing 10 years on 1st January to be deregistered, says Delhi Govt.
All Diesel vehicles in Delhi that would complete 10 years on January 01, 2022 will be deregistered by the Delhi Government. However, No Objection Certificate (NOC) would be issued for these vehicles so that they can be re-registered in other places. Also, 10 year old diesel or 15 year old petrol vehicles will have the options to be converted to electronic ones.
The city’s transport department had said earlier that this week no NOC will be issued for diesel vehicles that have already completed 15 years or more on the date of applying for it.
How to apply for an NOC Certificate?
- The owner of the vehicle will need to visit the local RTO in person to submit the application for the NOC
- The completed CMV 28 form needs to be submitted along with various important documents.
- You are required to make a payment of Rs.100 for the NOC application.
- Once the application is submitted, the RTO will obtain a report of the vehicle from the police authority to check if the vehicle is involved on any criminal record.
- If there are no outstanding dues or DSA cases pending against the vehicle, a receipt of clearance is obtained and No Objection Certificate is issued.
- The RTO will take three working days to issue the NOC Certificate
The transport department in its directive said, “Accordingly, the department will deregister all such diesel vehicles in Delhi on January 1.2022, which have completed or would be completing 10 years on that date”. They also said that the owners will also have the option to convert their 10-year old diesel and 115-year old petrol cars to turn into electronic ones if they want to continue using them.
Previously, the 10-years old diesel and 15-year old petrol cars were mentioned in the record but now onwards they have completely deregistered from the record.
NOC for diesel vehicles, which are 10 years old, and petrol vehicles, which are 15 years old, can be issued for any place in the country, it said.
It is important to note the subject to condition that NOC will not be issued for the places which are identified by states as restricted area for re-registration, the order said.
Below is List of District in respective State where NOC Can be issued for 10 Year Old Diesel (but under 15 Year Old Diesel) and 15 Year Old Petrol Cars registered in Delhi, NCR in neighbouring States, UT
|Uttar Pradesh||Bihar||Rajasthan||West Bengal|
|Itewah||Arwal||All cities||Except Kolkata all cities|
|Sant Kabir Nagar||Kishanganj|
Important if Considering Transfer of Old Car to Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh –
NOC Cannot be issued of 10 Year Old Diesel and 15 Year Old Petrol Car to any City / District of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh due to deteriorating Air Levels.
Delhi government deregisters over one lakh 10-year old diesel vehicles
- Delhi Government has directed owners of these vehicles to either retrofit them with electric kits or sell them to other states after getting a NOC. The state government will also deregister 15 year old petrol vehicles in the coming days.
- The senior officer said that the number of such petrol vehicles is estimated to be around 43 lakh that includes 32 lakh two wheelers and 11 lakh cars.
- The transport department has also sent a warning that if any deregistered diesel vehicle or petrol vehicle is found plying on roads, it will be impounded and sent for scrapping.
Bhupinder Singh Sangha
Sir i have bought 10 year old diesel car which is Delhi registered, can I get NOC for it.
Yes. Asking for which state?
Delhi My car 30/01/2011 diesal car. noc kab tak mil sakti hai
I’m the first owner of my diesel car completing its 10 years in 2024. What should I do. I want to keep my car.
Any leads to help would be a great help.