Passport application is India is of two types – normal passport and takal passport depending on the time required for processing . If some one need passport on urgent basis , he/she can apply for Tatkal passport . Usually tatkal passport takes 3-4 days time in processing.
Passport of India is a legal identity of a person in the foreign land just like Aadhar and PAN card in India. It also approves the authenticity of a person, which helps them availing various services in India as well as in foreign land because it contains address and photo proof.
In India, it is made under the consular, passport and visa division of Ministry of External Affairs of Government of India. Hence, India government has a responsibility to manage the services of issuance of Passport to every Indian citizen who has applied for a passport India.
The process of getting fresh and reissue of passport consist various stages in both offline and online.
Passport Application Types
Depending upon the urgency of the requirement of passport, Indian people apply for two kinds of passport-Normal and Tatkal.
The Normal passport application is that every Indian citizen applies for and it takes 30-45 days to finish the process.
While Tatkal passport is the urgent application of passport required on urgent basis means, it requires high payment to get the work done in less time. You will get quick tatkal timing or appointment at nearest PSK.
Every Indian can get tatkal and normal service for both new and renewal passport.
Note: the process time will be less for tatkal passport and rest is same as normal passport application. Moreover, the service is only applicable to citizens with a genuine reason.
Eligibility for tatkal passport
Every Indian citizen is eligible for tatkal passport. He/she just need to submit valid Indian Id proof, address proof, and application process fee. However, there are other factors or terms under which a citizen cannot apply for Tatkal passport. Whosoever falls under these given categories will be checked for application for Tatkal.
- A person born to Indian parents living outside India
- An Indian citizen who recently gained the Indian citizenship based on registration
- Person deported to INDIA from another country
- A person whom other country’s government have repatriated at their own cost
- Adopted children either by Indian or foreign parents
- A minor child with a single parent
- Change in name
- A resident of Nagaland and Jammu and Kashmir
- Nagaland origin citizen living outside Nagaland
- Minors living in Nagaland
- Lost and stolen passport (it require FIR copy)
- Damaged passport beyond identification
- Change in gender or appearance
- Change in personal data such as signature
- Renewal of short passport validity
Tatkal Passport Process
First, visit the Home Page for passport application. Here are steps for Tatkal passport application:
- Open the link and register yourself as ‘New User’ or log in if you are an ‘Existing User’.
- At registration, fill the form with existing Email Id and password, which is your future Login credentials.
- Save your email-id as login id or Passport Seva office will generate new login-id and send it to your mail-Id.
- When you will log in the account- it will show two options as Fresh and Re-issue application. Choose the option.
- Now there are two options for you either fill the form online or download the soft copy of the form
For online tatkal passport application process
Click on the link to start the online application process
- Fill the complete form as usual but select the tatkal option for Passport
- Submit the form
- Pay the fee and keep the receipt of payment
For offline form, download the form and fill the form then upload it
Click on the link to download the form for an offline application process but before continuing the process, you need to log-in to the account.
- Fill the form and choose the Tatkal option for passport issuance in scheme type
- Submit the form
- Choose the id proof for the declaration of birth and address
- Complete the payment online and take out the print out of payment
- Choose the available date for the appointment at nearest Passport Seva Kendra
At Passport Seva Kendra India
- Go to the nearest Passport Seva Kendra office to submit the form
- Carry the photocopy of birth certificate and address proof
- Also, carry the original Id proof and receipt of payment
- It will take a step to step to complete the process at the PSK office
- It will record your biometric and give you a final receipt with application number
- The passport will arrive at your address via post.
To understand the tatkal passport process in detail click on the Link.
Tatkal Passport Documents
On the day of the appointment, present these list of documents for passport under Tatkal scheme.
If the applicant is of the age of 18 years or above
The applicant in addition to the Aadhar card and self declaration certificate ” Annexure E ” , shall submit any two of the following documents :
- Election card
- Government Service Id card
- ST/ SC / OBC certificate
- Arms License
- Ration card
- Pension documents such as Ex servicemen’s pension book/ old age pension oder
- PAN card
- Bank / Kisan/ Post office passbook
- Student photo identity card issued by educational institute
- Birth certificate
- Driving license
If the applicant is below 18 years old
In addition to Aadhaar card , one of the following documents can be submitted :
- Student photo ID issued by educational institution
- Birth Certificate
- Ration card
Tatkal passport fees
According to the need there are different tatkal passport fee India. You will get to the complete detail about the fee structure while submitting the application. Here, no third party is involved for tatkal passport application.
For fresh application- If applying for a fresh passport, it will require 1500 INR application fee and additional 2000 for Tatkal passport fee if the passport is required within 1-7 days
For re-issuance of Passport- within 1-7 days of application-1500 INR+2000 INR additional for Tatkal passport
A 10% rebate is given to minor (below the age of 8 years ) and senior citizen ( above the age of 60 years ) on basic passport fees . There is no rebate on additional Tatkal passport fee.
The payment can be done through online banking, Credit and debit card, and through SBI Bank Chalan.
Passport Status India
Click on the given link to know about the status of the passport. For passport tracking, you must have your application file number and Date of Birth.
Tatkal Passport Time for Dispatch
Unlike normal passport application, tatkal passport time for an application means quick issuance and verification process by PSK. It will dispatch within 7 days of the application when all the paperwork is done at Passport Seva Kendra. An applicant under the tatkal scheme is ensured for quick processing and early dispatch of passport. The tatkal timing of issue of passport is less than normal passport application.
Tatkal Passport Renewal
If the passport is damaged but the credentials are readable like name, passport number, photograph, and signature then you can apply for reissue of passport under Tatkal scheme. However, if the passport is damaged to the unreadable extent then you are not allowed to apply for passport under the same scheme.
Police verification is required after issuance of passport nevertheless passport will be dispatched on 3rd day without verification report of the police.
Not everyone can apply for a tatkal passport. To know more about who can apply for tatkal passport go through the instruction booklet available on the PSK.