It has now become mandatory to link PAN with Aadhaar irrespective of the fact whether you file income tax returns or not. The government in the last budget has introduced a new law which has made it mandatory for every individual having PAN to link it with Aadhaar.
While the last date to link PAN with Aadhaar has been extended to 31 December, 2017, it is better to do it as soon as possible to avoid the situation of PAN getting invalid. Moreover, if the process to link PAN card with Aadhaar is not completed in time, the IT returns filed this year will become void, attracting a penalty of up to ₹. 5,000 and heavy interest can be levied in case of payable taxes. The Aadhaar- PAN linking must be done irrespective of whether you provided the acknowledgement number for Aadhaar card, or quoted it in the tax returns form.
If you haven’t been able to link the two cards so far due to mismatch in both the data cards, it is necessary to make the changes at the earliest, especially if your PAN data is an issue. Unlike Aadhaar where making changes/correction is easy and quick, the same is not the case with your PAN data.
Following are the 6 steps to make corrections in your PAN:
- Go to the NSDL website and click on “Online Application for Changes Or Correction in PAN Data (PAN Change Request Form)”.
- You will be directed to another page which will give you details regarding online application, payments, acknowledgement, mode of submission of documents, etc. Scroll down on the page and select the suitable category of applicant. Then click on the “Select” option. The category shows various options such as individuals, partnership firm, the body of individuals, HUF, trust etc.
- You will see a form with heading “Request For New PAN Card Or/And Changes Or Correction in PAN Data”. Fill in the details in the form along with necessary changes.
- Click on the submit button when you complete filing the necessary details/changes/corrections.
- You get an acknowledgement slip. Next, select the payment option, either online or offline mode, to pay the amount of₹. 110 (for an address in India) and ₹. 1,020 (for other addresses). Payment can be made only by way of credit card/debit card and demand draft, payable at Mumbai, in favour of ‘NSDL – PAN’.
However, making an online payment by using credit card/debit card will attract additional charge of up to 2% (plus applicable taxes) of application fee by the bank for providing gateway facility. Also, any payment made using net banking facility will lead to an additional surcharge of 4 % + GST for payment gateway facility.
If you chose the offline payment mode option, send the DD to NSDL. It is essential to mention your name and acknowledgment number on the reverse side of the DD.
In the final step, you are required to take a print-out of acknowledgment slip, which needs to be signed. Also attach-
b. Proof of existing PAN
c. Proof of Identity
d. Address proof
e. Certificate of DOB
Send these documents with acknowledgment slip to ‘NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016’.
On receiving your payment, acknowledgement and the necessary documents, NSDL will process your application.