You need to link your pan card with Aadhaar card as those PAN cards which are not linked with their respective Aadhaar card , their PAN will be deactivated after 31st March 2023.
PAN Aadhaar link serves to tackle the issuance of multiple PAN cards in the same name. So, it becomes difficult to hide taxable income from IT Departnment.Your Income Tax Returns (ITR) form would not be processed unless your PAN is not linked with Aadhaar after 31st March 2023.
The following categories of people don’t need to link Aadhaar with PAN: -
- Those who are not Indian Citizens
- Indian Citizens above 80 years as on date.
- Residents of Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and Meghalaya.
The most common reason for failure of Aadhar-PAN linking is that information do on match on both sites. Your DOB, name, address, father’s name and other personal details must the same for aadhar and PAN cards. If you notice anomalies or errors in them, please correct/update those details before linking PAN with aadhar.
Note :Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the deadline PAN-aadhar linking from 31st March 2022 to 31st March 2023. If you link your PAN and Aadhaar between 1 April 2022 and 30 June 2022, a fine of Rs.500 will be levied. The fine will be Rs.1,000 if the Aadhaar and PAN are linked after 1 July 2022.
How to link PAN card with Aadhaar number?
Linking PAN with Aadhaar is a two-step process:
Step1: Payment of applicable fee Protean website under Major head (0021) and Minor head (500) for AY 2023-24.
- Visit e-Filing
- Type your PAN number; confirm PAN number; enter mobile number to obtain an OTP.
- After OTP verification, you will be redirected to a page showing various payment tiles.
- Click on “Proceed” option on the Income Tax tile.
B. Protean website under Major head (0021) and Minor head (500) for AY 2023-24 if you have any other bank account
- Visit nsdl.com
- Under the “NON-TDS/TCS” category, click on “Proceed” button under “CHALLAN NO./ITNS 280.”
- You will see a challan which will have major (0021) and minor head (500).
- Fill in the relevant details (PAN number, AY, mode of payment and so on) and make pay the exact amount (that is, Rs. 500/1000) through a single challan. The challan should be for AY 2023-24 only.
Step 2: Submit the Aadhaar-PAN link request on e-Filing portal after 4-5 working days of making of payment on Protean website again.
- Visit Income Tax Department
- Under “Quick Links” category, click on “Link Aadhaar”.
- Type in your PAN and Aadhaar number and click on “Validate”.
- A pop-up will be seen on the screen “Your payments details are verified” since you have made the payment for linking PAN with Aadhar.
- Click “Continue” on the pop-up message to submit Aadhaar-PAN link request.
- Enter the required details and click on “Link Aadhaar”.
- Enter the 6-digit OTP you will receive on your number.
- Your Aadhaar-PAN linking request has been submitted successfully.
- You can also visit https://www.utiitsl.com/ or https://www.egov-nsdl.co.in/ to link your PAN with Aadhaar number.
How to track pan card aadhar link status online?
Indians can know their PAN card Aadhaar link status by visiting AadhaarPreloginStatus
All Documents needed to link PAN card with aadhar card
The following documents are required for pan card aadhar link:
- PAN Number
- Aadhaar Card number
- Your Mobile number
Benefits of PAN card aadhar link
- The individual will get a summary of the details of taxes levied on him for future reference.
- It will leave an audit trail with the Government. It will help IT Department to find those who don’t pay taxes and hide them away as black money. The reason is that aadhar is used for almost every transaction in India.
- Carrying out Bank transactions of Rs. 50000 and above requires pan card aadhar link.
- When you link aadhar with pan, the aadhar authentication is enough for ITR returns. You don’t need to submit receipts and signatures again and again for filing ITR.